Saturday, December 24, 2005

Thumbs down (or up?) for Gladiator!

I know I've griped about this before, but not on my blog. Can you tell we're lying around watching TV? Anyway, I really actually enjoyed the movie, Gladiator. It was a good story and visually enjoyable. But...

The evil Emperor Commodus (played by one of my boyfriends, Joaquin Phoenix), puts his thumb up and Maximus (played by the always-yummy Russell Crowe) lives! Um, no. Thumbs up means he DIES.

There were other anachronistic moments, but this was a huge, dramatic moment and all I could think was, oh no, he's going to die! Huh? Why didn't he die? He did thumbs up! Arrrrrrrgh!

2 comments:

Kelli in the Mirror said...

At least you're not the only one who noticed. It's listed on that page you linked to in the "goofs" section. :)

Me, I didn't notice. But I'm not always incredibly observant.

Grant-Will-Rant said...

I admit, I didn't notice either. But even famous French painters got it wrong. Here's a snapshot from Jean-Léon Gérôme's Pollice Verso (1872)

http://www.empereurs-romains.net/phot/empret55c.jpg