Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Why does this make me so sad?

We are finally, finally cleaning our house. Ryan spent the evening cleaning the kitchen, scrubbing and cleaning. I worked in the den, sorting and getting rid of all kinds of crap. I found a vein of things left over from the Seven Lean Years. You know, when mail came and we hid it under the couch. Or what passed for a couch since we gave Ryan's away and couldn't afford a new one. Of course, we wouldn't have had any room for it. Anyway, it was just making me sad. When no one would give us jobs. When Ryan was applying for everything from retail to teaching to engineering. And then all that I was applying for. And all the medical bills for all the things that went wrong with us. Remember when the eye doctor said Ryan was going to go blind? Before she fitted him with contacts to help him see. How scary it all was! I should just be happy that all is much better now, right? Maybe it's bedtime.

2 comments:

Rooney said...

I don't know you very well (if at all, really), so I'm not sure where you are coming from right now. But I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. No matter what life throws at you--and it can be cruel at times--you must always have faith. I'm not saying you must believe in a God, just that you must have faith that there is a purpose for your troubles. It's usually strength. Can you look back over those times and say that you two didn't learn anything about yourselves, or that you didn't grow in some manner?

Kelli in the Mirror said...

Are you having some sort of odd nostalgia for the bad ole days? I remember that. I wouldn't be sad about it being gone. You didn't like it. Remember?
Now you have jobs, and eyesight, and a little money and power. Things are good. Good stuff Maynard.