Monday, January 09, 2006

Fractured

I had a crappy day Friday and when we all met for Happy Hour after school at Taco Cabana, I left my phone in the car. Unintentionally. When I got into the car at about 5:30, I noticed that I had messages and I was thinking it was Ryan trying to coordinate our plans or something. No, it was the doctor's office calling urgently to schedule an appointment with an orthopedist. I was very, very upset. I went home and sat in the comfy chair and tried not to freak out. Mr. Sports Injury said it was probably just a sprain or strain. I was comforted.

And then when I called today she said there was a fracture in my left shoulder. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I'm going to teach my zero period class and then go to the appointment. I picked up my x-ray films tonight just in case there was some problem tomorrow morning or traffic or something. I don't really know what to expect. With the exception of the cracked collar bone when I was little bitty, I haven't broken anything before and I don't know. Will they put it in a sling or a cast or what? Will it hurt? They've ordered a sub for the entire day, though, so I guess I don't have to stress about racing back. Except for that whole thing where my students won't do jack while I'm gone. We're already so far behind. And they lost ground over the holidays. I had one student who forgot what scientific notation was. Not how to use it, but what is this "x10" thing? How is that possible?

I've had lots of paperwork to fill out. One of the forms asked what I would do in the future to avoid the same thing happening again. Krrrr. I know that's just a standard question, but it really got under my skin. Ryan's too. My friend Danielle suggested I write that in the future I'll just have students move all heavy or seemingly dangeous objects. Heehee!

1 comment:

Kelli in the Mirror said...

Oh. Yuck. Does this mean you'll be getting money for your pain and suffering? I bet they'll cut the check about as fast as they came to help you when you were wedged under the tv...