Thursday, February 16, 2006

Media whore? Hell, yeah!

My lovely friend Donald was kind enough to teasingly call me this in an email directly to my personal inbox rather than in a more public comment on my blog. He's very thoughtful, but I have to say he may be accurate. He reminded me that I was on the local news before we went to Italy talking about going to Rome and the Pope's death. It was two days after our wedding and I got to tell the news people my new name, which was quite the thrill.

If you don't obsessively read the comments to my blog because perhaps you have a life or a job, here's the link to the
newspaper article about our physics day. If you click on the next button under the photo, you can see a picture of yours truly and my colleague. Pretty cool, eh?


My sweet friend Ann Marie said I looked cute. My students said I looked tired. Gotta love them. They did see the enormous photo in the print edition of the paper. It's nearly 5x7-- Big Ass Photo as Ryan said: BAP.

All in all, a good experience. As for the paper's comment that it's my district's answer to low science scores, I don't know. But then, one of the largest problems (besides lack of math and reading skills) is lack of interest in school in general and science specifically. Perhaps they'll get more jazzed about doing the math if there's a rocket at the end.

Tonight I was a bad wife and left my very sick husband at home and went to a lecture on Superstring Theory. To all you science phobes out there, that even confuses that crap out of me. But it does excite me to think about all of the possibilites that are out there. I love how science gives us new problems to solve when it answers the old ones.

Back to Sickville, I heated up some soup and got some ginger ale with a straw for the sick boy. He had spent the evening in bed, with the pig, watching TV and resting, so I guess I didn't really miss anything, but I felt badly about deserting him. And if I focus on the guilt I don't have to think about how freaking scared I am when he coughs and wheezes. He went back to the doctor today and got a new antibiotic since the other one apparently wasn't working. Sigh.

2 comments:

Kelli in the Mirror said...

I have to say, what stands out for me in this whole post, is this line:
"I left my sick husband in bed, with the pig..."
People who don't know you and your odd fondness for the tiny stuffed pig may find that sentence beyond strange. :)
And congrats on the BAP.

k said...

And I hope your poor sick sweetie feels better soon.