Tuesday, March 14, 2006

AMEN!

DMD sent me this article and I had to shout, "Amen!" Yes, there are terrible, lazy teachers, but there seem to be more and more lazy, entitled students. I wonder what the dynamic would be like in a higher-SES school. I remember my friend PJ telling me about teaching in private school and some parents basically telling her that they'd paid for good grades for their kids. Whatever. I know I'm not a parent, but it seems to me that expecting your kids to struggle and work hard will only prepare them for life. Sure, you want good things for them, but they also need to be prepared for the days when everything doesn't go their way.

Stepping down off soapbox.

1 comment:

dmd said...

A BIG AMEN SISTAH!
I love that article because its so true. I gave a chemistry quiz on Wednesday, went over it on Thursday and gave the EXACT. SAME. QUIZ. on Friday as part of their test. Most still failed it miserably. It was only a vocabulary quiz on 10 (TEN!!!!) terms and it had a word bank! I want to grab each one who failed it, shake them until all of the drugs are out of their systems, and slap them silly.