Sunday, May 14, 2006

ABC Meme

Thanks for the tag! It's been a long time since we played a real tagging game. :)

ACCENT: Although my best friend and I met in New Jersey and I lived there almost as long as she did, the only thing that remains is my insistence on calling carbonated beverages "soda" and that shiny wrap for your food "tinfoil." My original accent was actually Australian, but I lost that very quickly and my Michigan accent is still pretty strong. But I can drawl with the best of them and call my students "sweetie" and "baby" and "sweetpea" and every little name you can think of some older Southern lady calling the neighbor children.

BIBLE BOOK THAT I LIKE: I am a huge fan of Esther. I used to read that when we had enforced "retreats" or I had to sit through long, boring sermons when I was a kid. Song of Solomon was good too. ;) I find the psalms to be comforting as well, especially when sung.

CHORE I DON'T CARE FOR: Yes.

DOG OR CAT: I love my own personal dog even though I'm allergic to her. I'm also allergic to cats but they're more my temperament. I'm to the point where I'm ready to be "mom" to a human or no one.

ESSENTIAL ELECTRONICS: my broken into four pieces laptop, iPod shuffle, cell phone, scientific calculator

FAVORITE COLOGNE: Chanel Platinum Egoiste on Ryan. Anything involving white flowers on me (Pleasures, Elysium, White Tea, Ralph Lauren Blue)

GOLD OR SILVER: Silver. Also, turns out I'm allergic to the nickel in my white gold wedding ring but I've been informed that an upgrade to titanium is in my future.

HANDBAG I CARRY MOST OFTEN: Lately it's this vintage black felt bag, but it's tearing so I have to replace it. I would love a Kate Spade bag, or maybe 8. On school days, it's the brown and blue tote bag I got as a gift with purchase from a magazine subscription. It's adorable and holds legal size folders and it involves plastic so I don't feel guilty keeping it on the floor and getting chalk dust on it, in it...

INSOMNIA: Every so often I'm awake all night. For no reason.

JOB TITLE: My official title is Physics Teacher, which tickles me since I only took one physics class in college and I only teach 2 sections of physics versus 5 of chemistry.

KIDS: None of my own, although I have lots of students who I really care about. I also am godmother to a sweet girl.

LIVING ARRANGEMENTS: Ryan, Tilly the dog, and I. Plus three plush toys we talk to way too often and they respond... Location is hopefully going to change soon.

MOST ADMIRABLE TRAIT: Ryan says it's my concern for other people's well-being

NAUGHTIEST CHILDHOOD BEHAVIOR: Unwrapping and rewrapping Christmas presents. I'm not making that up.

OVERNIGHT HOSPITAL STAYS: appendectomy 1985-- an entire week.

PHOBIAS:
Slugs! I'm terrified of heights and I hate bridges where you can see below you. And steps up to the tops of churches and other buildings.

QUOTE: Okay, this is more an excerpt than a quote, but I love it. From The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster:


"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly, "as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons."
...
"You may not see it now," said the Princess of Pure Reason, looking knowingly at Milo's puzzled face, "but whatever we learn has a purpose and whatever we do affects everything and everyone else, if even in the tiniest way. Why, when a housefly flaps his wings, a breeze goes round the world; when a speck of dust falls to the ground, the entire planet weighs a little more; and when you stamp your foot, the earth moves slightly off its course. Whenever you laugh, gladness spreads like the ripples in a pond; and whenever you're sad, no one anywhere can be really happy. And it's much the same thing with knowledge, for whenever you learn something new, the whole world becomes that much richer."
"And remember, also," added the Princess of Sweet Rhyme, "that many places you would like to see are just off the map and many things you want to know are just out of sight or a little beyond your reach. But someday you'll reach them all, for what you learn today, for no reason at all, will help you discover all the wonderful secrets of tomorrow."

RELIGION: Raised Methodist, currently Catholic. It gives me peace and challenges me to be a better person. I don't worry too much about heaven or hell, I just hope to make things better here on earth for myself and others and diminish the amount of hell we have here on earth. And before you throw up, I am woefully unsuccessful.

SIBLINGS: Two sisters, one brother, three sisters-in-law, three brothers-in-law

TIME I WAKE UP: 6:45-7am

UNUSUAL TALENT OR SKILL: I can make fabulous faces including crossed eyes that wiggle. My students love it! Even the cool ones beg me to do it again. All those hours spent in front of the mirror in third grade was well-spent!

VEGETABLE I REFUSE TO EAT: I'm pretty good about vegetables in general, eating salads larger than my head. But I definitely do not care for okra and anything cooked until it loses most of its color.

WORST HABIT: Worst? There are too many to count. One of the worst is letting my car get down to fumes before I fill it up again.

X-RAYS: as a baby when I cracked my collar bone, various dental x-rays, chest x-ray in 2003 when a TB test came out positive (turns out I had an immunization as a child that will always make me "positive").
Shoulder and elbow 2006.

YUMMY STUFF I COOK: Chocolate chip brownies, lasagna, sorbet and gelato

ZOO ANIMAL I LIKE MOST: I fell in love with the meerkats!

Tag: since almost all the girls have been, here goes with the boys and one more girl: tim, grant, ollie, zydecofish, zolafan, and julie

1 comment:

Zolafan said...

so have to use the same categories, eh? will give it a shot, I know I haven't tried doing some of these other lists you've passed along...