Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The cat is out of the bag!

So, my secret stressful thing that I was hinting about was us buying a house. We had originally wanted to buy the place we're currently renting, but it's a super fixer-upper and we found out that it would cost more than some places closer to church, which is our ideal location. Close to church, close to downtown, close to friends and restaurants. Close to a decent Kroger!

We did some research online and then went to a few open houses. We saw one teeny townhouse near our friend Jeff's house that was adorable and very cottagey. Totally reminded me of all of the good things about the house my grandmother lived in when I was a kid. Except that it was tiny and exceptionally bright and sunny. But there was a tiny little kitchen and the dining table was smooshed up against the couch. I could just see the two of us and the dog barking our shins and breaking things as we lumbered around like bulls in a china shop.

The next house we saw was beautiful and full of open space for parties! Ryan's old house was the ultimate party house and we have keenly missed that aspect of it. Mowing the lawn, not so much. This place has a teeny tiny patch of grass and a wooden deck for my chaise longue and Ryan's grill with rotisserie that we're hoping to buy at the end of the summer. It will be cheaper then, but there will still be months more of grilling weather. Anyway, this place is five minutes from church. FIVE. MINUTES. We thought we would have to win the lottery to make a down payment on a place in that area!

So, we crossed our fingers and called about financing and joy of joys, it went through without a hitch. Hooray! We found a really nice and honest realtor to help us and put an offer on the place. We went back and forth a few times on pricing, but eventually settled on something we were both happy with. Then we had to do inspections and called in a structural engineer to make sure that some cracks in the downstairs bedroom floor weren't anything more than issues with curing (Ryan knows all about concrete). So, that was a relief and a load off our minds to know that the (small) cracks are nothing to worry about.

We've been going through TUMS like they're going out of style. We prefer the "Smoothies." We were so stressed out that it was almost comical. Ryan actually dramatically cut back on his caffeine intake because he was so wired. Oh, and through all of this we were dealing with the end of school stress that I go through. We would both email and say, hey, I feel like I'm going to throw up and jump out of my skin, how about you? Not to really complain, though since we've been through actual hard things together and this was just nerve-wracking.

Today we went to the title place and signed 26,000 forms. For various reasons it wasn't supposed to fund until tomorrow so we didn't think we'd get our keys until then. It still felt pretty damn great! Later, we got a call saying that it did fund after all so we could get our keys then but Ryan said, we'll wait. It would have involved a trip to the Galleria in the pouring down rain. I think it took us all of half an hour to reconsider. :) By then it was nearly 4:30 and we only had 30 minutes, but we made it with almost ten minutes to spare. It took them awhile to get everything together but I didn't care.

We went out to dinner to celebrate and then drove by the house and poked around a little. Ryan got some info on lightbulbs we need to replace and fun stuff like that. But now we have to make a last push to get everything at our old place packed...

So, info on the new place...
It's a red metal townhouse, like a shipping container, three stories tall, with a 2-car garage so Simpson's Autohaus can continue to service our cars. There's a bedroom downstairs with a full bathroom for guests, the living, dining, kitchen area on the second floor, all open and fabulous for parties, and the master bedroom on the third floor.
So, so cute and modern and fun.

One night, Ryan played me some Jimi Hendricks. "There's a red house over yonder. That's where my baby stays..." In the movie of my life, this is the song they'll play for the moving in montage.

I'm going to live in a red house!

5 comments:

Kelli in the Mirror said...

Oh, I am SO excited for you. I might actually, gasp, come visit!! :)

And by the way, have you tried the cocoa and cream Tums smoothies? They're really good. I ate a lot of them when I was pregnant.

Grant-Will-Rant said...

Congratulations, Katie! How exciting. And what a cool looking house!!

Oh, and I didn't realize Tums come in so many flavors. It almost makes me wish I had heartburn. Okay, off to eat a greasy pizza :)

Julie said...

I haven't read your post yet, but I just realized I might be the one who spilled the beans because I mentioned it on my blog! I'm so sorry, I didn't even think about it. I don't think about the fact that your friends read my blog!

Loni said...

Yippee, Yea, Whoo Whoo!
It's really Fabulous. Congratulations!!!

Happy Packing!

Zolafan said...

many, many congrats, hadn't checked in a few days, so just now (tue 6/6/6) saw the pics of the new red house.

BTW, it's Jimi Hendrix.

respectfully submitted,
Just Another Old Fart