Monday, June 19, 2006

No school today!

It was raining on and off all weekend. Last night it poured and didn't stop. When I woke up this morning it was dark and stormy and I was freaking out about driving to school. I hate dealing with flooding and high water. After having a car flooded a few years ago I'm a real weenie about driving when it's raining. Ryan left to go to Home Depot to return the tall ladder he'd rented last night and I was nervous about that as well.

I got in the car early for once since I knew it would take longer to get to work. I was on the next block when I heard on the radio that some schools were closed and my district was the first one they mentioned. YES! A second or two later my phone rang and it was the woman in charge of summer school calling to make sure I had heard. Woo-hoo! I drove around the block, put my car away, put my school clothes away, put my jammies back on and climbed back into bed. Danielle called me and mentioned that we should get paid for today. Hopefully! Ryan got back from the despot without incident, so that was a relief.

Now, it's sunny here and there's a little water in the culverts out front, but nothing too bad. I'm not ready to venture out too far yet, though. I don't want to deal with other neighborhoods that still have water or the bayous that are draining them. Have I mentioned that I'm a weenie? I am enjoying the day off and trying to get some more things cleaned in the house. Ryan was already planning to work from home, so he's here, too.

4 comments:

Kelli in the Mirror said...

Is this like the school year where you have to make it up? Or do they just ditch the day?

Grant-Will-Rant said...

That's the best feeling, when you think you have to work and then it turns out you don't.

And the weather in Texas looks pretty darn rough. You may get another few days off :)

Kate said...

I hope we don't have to make it up! Although, we already have a teacher work day at the end so we could have them come that day...

It's raining right now and making me very nervous. When it rains around here, the streets flood very easily. Unlike Herbie the Love Bug, I don't think I should be driving Greta underwater! :)

Julie said...

We're supposed to have flash flooding here too, which is kind of cool because we need the rain, but totally uncool because we have tickets to Beck's outdoor concert tonight! Cross your fingers that the rain holds off until after the show, then Tim can maybe get the day off tomorrrow for weather!