Sunday, August 13, 2006

Air pollution

I have lots of allergies and asthma and all kinds of fun stuff like that. Usually things are under control, but occassionally someone's perfume will send me into a sneezing fit. Or it just accosts me when I walk near them or have to stand or sit near them. When I became a teacher I vowed not to be like a few teachers I had whose entire rooms absolutely STANK from their perfume. And there are men who do this with their cologne, so they're not free from my rant here.

If you're going out, put on a little scent. A LITTLE. People should notice you before they're knocked down by your stink. While you may love eau de stinky granny flower, not everyone else does. And for the love of Pete, Do. Not. Put. It. On. Anywhere. But. Your. Bedroom. This means that if you're already in the car and have no scent on, too damn bad. I've never understood this. Beside the fact that you have to bring your breakable glass bottle in your purse with you, who do you think you are that you can pollute the air with your perfume? I once made a rude comment to Ryan for accusing me of applying perfume in the car when it turned out it was our friend in the back seat. I felt kind of badly, but then, she was the one being inconsiderate of everyone else.

I know that I have flaws. LOTS of flaws. But please, please let people know that they should not walk around like PigPen in a cloud of scent. I had to sit through Mass today choking on someone's stinky perfume and not only did it make my head hurt, but it was distracting. Grrr...

4 comments:

dmd said...

I'm with you! I don't even own perfume right now. I use scented lotion because I don't want the kids to be allergic to me. Besides, I hate most perfume scents. My 5th grade teacher stank of coffee, cigarettes, and White Linen. Sadly, thats all I remember about her.

Oliver Dale said...

I can one-up you: I put my smell-juice on in my bathroom inside my bedroom. I'm down to two sprits, but can't cut it any lower due to an insatiable paranoia that I might stink in a bad way.

Grant-Will-Rant said...

AMEN! I have terrible memories of sitting in church behind the old lady who smelled like a rose bush. After two minutes I get a blinding headache and start thinking very un-churchy thoughts.

Julie said...

oh, hell yeah! your mother put on incredibly fragrant hand lotion in the car and it gave me such a headache, i had to roll down the window in 95 degree heat!