Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I needed this today

Seriously bad day. One of my sweet students found out her mom has cancer. Mom came up to tell her and she came back into class in tears. Class was pretty much shot after that.

It got better. A 16-yr-old freshman at my old school was shot twice in the chest in a drive-by shooting about 5 minutes after the tardy bell in the morning. Right off campus where he was hanging with his friends, who might or might not have been in a gang. I'm not even going to try to say that I'm not being judgmental because it's unspeakably sad, but am I totally wrong for wanting to hawk my book?

How to Avoid Trouble at School in Three Easy Steps
by Katie-Kat

Step 1: Go to Class
Step 2: Go to Class
Step 3: Go to Class

Get that? Let's see:
Student 1: was the most-used image in most of the media regarding the NO-Houston riot because he got caught up in it when he was SKIPPING MY CLASS
Student 2: was raped in the bathroom 50 feet from my classroom during the 3 hour period during which it was open the ENTIRE YEAR while she was NOT IN CLASS
Student 3: was killed in a drive-by shooting while lollygagging during 1st period and was therefore, NOT IN CLASS

Teenager logic is non-existent otherwise I would say it's insane. Oh, and don't get me started on my student who broke up with her boyfriend over Thanksgiving because she hooked up with a drug dealer who's cute and has a big house and gave her a car and keeps asking for my advice. Run? Change your name and move to another state? I've been telling her all my horror stories, not that it will do any good.

Anyway, now that I've filled your heart with light and hope, read this. I may have almost peed myself. Sometimes you just need to be reminded of what you love about your fellow humans-- even the silly stuff.

No comments: