Thursday, December 14, 2006

Holiday Time Meme

HOLIDAY TIME MEME
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate is delicious, but I am a snob for the stuff made with milk. Not that I won't drink the other stuff, it's just disappointing. Eggnog makes me ill. Literally. I actually like the taste and will have a sip from time to time, but if I have more I regret it. As in curled up in a ball crying.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Not so much Santa at the house of Mr. and Mrs. Killjoy.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I like colored lights on the tree because I am still seven years old. All white is so much more sophisticated, but Christmas is the holiday when I let all my tackiness hang out. As for the house, I would love to drape it with those white icicle lights which Ryan thinks are stupid since there would never be real icicles here. Dunno about the reasoning there, but since he is the one who would hang them, he wins. He hung all blue lights on his white house when I first met him. Very Hanukah.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nah. Seems a very Smug Married thing to do now. I know when I was sad and lonely and desperate for a kiss, I didn't want to hang out under it at the same time that I wanted to...
5. When do you put up your decorations?
This is the first time in years that we've done it. We both talked about putting them up sooner rather than later since it seems dumb to spend all that effort and then not enjoy them.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Honestly, when I was a kid and my grandmother used to come visit, she used to get lobsters for the adults and super-thin sliced deli roast beef for us kids to make into sandwiches.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Many, many, many. I've never really cared for Thanksgiving and the day after has been the High Holy Day of Depression since I was really young. But Christmas... I loved the presents and the real trees and the way they smelled. I loved the little things with the candles and the the little angels that spinned and the bells... I love the carols and Christmas eve services with the candles that drip and burn you.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't remember. I'm pretty sure my big sister who told me about everything else actuallly didn't spill the beans about this one. Having younger siblings meant at least pretending for quite a while after I knew the truth.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We have a long-standing tradition where we open one gift. And discussing whether or not we're going to do it and it usually ends up being something thrilling like the jammies my grandmother sends us.
10. What kind of decorations are on your tree?
Yes. Colored lights and silver beaded garland and all the ornaments from both of our childhoods. Also colored balls I got at Target. And a big star at the top since I'll never find as cool an angel as my parents got before we all were born at someplace like Marshall Fields. And Ryan's granddad's model train at the base. Yup, it really works and even still has a few pellets that make "smoke"
11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
Love, love, love it! Even shoveling every day and falling on my bobo and cutting my hands and getting smacked by killer icicles and getting up 15 minutes early to warm up and scrape the car still didn't completely cool my enthusiasm. My ideal life involves living someplace temperate and taking a ski vacation for a week or two every year. No skiing for me, unless I learned to cross-country ski. Fear of falling, people. But sitting in front of a fire with some milky hot chocolate and a book while watching the snow fall is one of the best things in the world.
12. Can you ice skate?
I could when I was a kid, but not anymore. I have really weak ankles and I fall. A lot. I even once had the Soviet Union's ice-skating coach hold my hand and skated around the rink with me and even he couldn't teach me, so I think I'm officially hopeless. Plus, there's the falling. And scraping your hands and getting your mittens wet (taught phase changes recently, so I'm all reminded of ice skating and how the ice melts to form the layer of water that helps you float smoothly, or in my case, fall into a hard surface with a puddle on top).
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I think that my bff's Barbie Perfume Maker was one of my favorites as well. :) A couple Lego sets, my Little Twin Stars cup with lid and straw (and the replacement my sisters got me after I sat on the original), my red Le Creuset pots from Ryan, and more recently, my molecular model kit. I'm not kidding. (Thanks, sis!)
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Being with friends and family. Singing together with Ryan, both at Midnight Mass and then whatever morning Mass we get suckered into doing.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Favorite? I love just about everything. Fudge, tiny pecan pie tarts, those pressed cookies dipped in chocolate with sprinkles, frosted sugar cookies with sprinkles and Red Hots, pumpkin pie, ribbon candy, peppermints, peppermint bark...
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Singing together and how Ryan and I replaced the present tradition back when we had no money--spending the day together being quiet, watching movies, listening to music and making a wonderful meal together. Now it ends up costing more than extravagant presents, but oh, well. :) It's being together that counts, right?
17. What tops your tree?
A big red communist-looking star until I can find an angel to rival my parents'.
18. Which do you prefer? Giving or receiving?
I love, love, love giving presents. In fact, I can totally get myself into trouble buying tons of presents so I've tried to restrict myself to the under-12 set, although I can still get into trouble there. And I'll be honest and say that I love getting presents.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
White Christmas, the entire Nutcracker Suite, all the Squirrel Nut Zippers Xmas songs, All I Want for Christmas Is You, O Come All Ye Fauthful--that means that it's really Christmas.
20. Candy canes: Yuck or yummy?
I love them, but I have been the "victim" of entirely too many candy cane-related injuries. Granted, I should know better than to suck it down into a lethal point and then walk around with it in my mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always find out something new about you from these things. :) You'll have to post a picture of that angel so we can hunt for one for you.