Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 Reading List


This year I am going to try to keep making comments about the books I read. Stay tuned...

36. Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison. So much fun I can't even tell you!
35. The Fastest Way to Get Pregnant Naturally by Christopher Williams. And no, it wasn't just one page: "Lots of hot sex." Interesting read and I've been told that the book itself might have fertility-inducing properties by simply being under your roof. I wonder if this counts for library-owned copies.
34. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It had been years.
33. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gordon. Fun, slightly trashy historical fiction. The main character was a little too modern in her thinking, in my opinion, but otherwise, I definitely enjoyed it.
32. Night by Elie Wiesel. It is every bit as good as people say and it's a really short read.
31. Macbeth by Shakespeare. I read it 4 times. I did enjoy it.
30. Antigone by Sophocles. Does this count?
29. Just Murdered by Elaine Viets. Same series as #27. Not bad, but I liked the other one better, even if this one did involve dresses.
28. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck. It's even better than I remembered. My sophomores had to read it so I re-read it. If anything, I think that I could relate to it even more now than when I was 15.
27. Murder Between the Covers, by Elaine Viets. Not the world's greatest writing, but I enjoyed the main character and it was a fun read.
26. The Magician's Nephew, by C.S. Lewis. It's actually better than I remembered. I read it out loud to Ryan at bedtime over the course of about a week.
25. The Two Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke, by Elizabeth Warren & Amelia Warren Tyagi. Yes, I read a book about money. And it was a lot more interesting than it sounds. And the solution was not for every mother to immediately leave the workforce. Or join it. I can't tell you how much I appreciate having choices.
24. Notes from the Underbelly by Risa Green. Have you ever wanted to slap a character? A lot? I wanted to slap this woman the whole entire time I was reading the book. Don't get me wrong. There are some funny moments, but mostly, she was just so selfish and intentionally ignorant. But I will totally read her next book about what happens once the baby comes. (Tales from the Crib)
23. The J.A.P. Chronicles by Isabel Rose. Another enjoyable book. I liked more of the characters than I expected.
22. Nine Months in August by Adiana Bourgoin. Enjoyable, but the main character tended to really get on my nerves.
21. If Looks Could Kill by Kate White. A delicious mystery. A little nerve-wracking for late-night reading, especially when your husband is out of town.
20. Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam, Jr. Beautifully written and such a delicious story. As usual, the book was much more varied and layered than the movie ever could have been.
19. I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason by Susan Kandel. A delicious mystery. I love all the discussion of vintage fashion and the mystery was 45 years old so she does a lot of research into history. I loved it.
18. The Starter Wife by Gigi Levangie Grazer. Good times. Different enough from the show to be enjoyable in and of itself.
17. Let's Meet on Platform 8 by Carole Matthews. Similar to what my bff said about it. I was going to quit reading it until Manic brought up the topic of people you love and care about having affairs.
16. The Department of Lost and Found by Allison Winn Scotch. I loved this book. I laughed and I cried and I was so sad when it was done. It wasn't your predictable chick lit, although it had a very satisfying ending.
15. Comeback Moms by Monica Samuels and J.C.Conklin. An interesting look at SAHMs and going back to work and leaving work and such. A little bit bitter at times, especially towards Mr. Comeback Mom.
14. Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Karen Mack and Jennifer Kaufman. An enjoyable book about someone I could relate to. Kind of an interesting read as I'm struggling with depression and escaping into books.
13. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. Yup, never read it (hanging head in shame). English teacher next door has been loaning me books since she caught me with the book below.
12. Trimalchio: An Early Version of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Read it in three days, tried my best to do anything other than reading, although it was a huge struggle. Fabulous. Now I have to read The Great Gatsby again.
11. Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner. Wow, I loved this book. All about babies and becoming a mother and how that changes you. While this is not something that's happening in my life I could still relate since it's what a lot of my friends have been going through.
10. Baby Proof by Emily Giffin. I had no idea I would be so moved by this book. I cried and cried. I didn't want to do anything else while I still hadn't finished the book. I may even write a separate post about what it made me think about Ryan and I.
9. The Key by Jennifer Sturman. Another chick lit mystery in this series (#3) that was enjoyable. Although, the unresolved mystery of her books is how she makes investment banking seem exciting. How does she do that?!?
8. A Little Change of Face by Lauren Baratz-Logsted. I wrote an entire post about this one.
7. Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares. I read it in one day and I was so sad when it was over. No more Lena, Carmen, Tibby, and Bridget. Sometimes growing up really, really stinks. I thought the story itself was sweet and realistic.
6. Every Crooked Nanny by Kathy Hogan Trocheck. I'm always on the lookout for good mysteries and this was a fun one. Not too crazy, violent or scary. I'll have to check out more of them. Ooo, and check it out! She's "Mary Kay Andrews"!
5. Swapping Lives by Jane Green. As always, a cute book from Jane Green. Her stuff seems to get better and better. I was just sad that the book was over. (There was a show by this name in Australia/Indonesia following two girls. I find it interesting and would love to see it.)
4. Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman. What a fabulous book. It was about an urban garden, but more about the people who worked in it. Each chapter was a monologue by each character. Incidentally, the author is the son of the author Sid Fleischman.
3. Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes. Wow, a little too much like things I remember. Still a good book. Especially good for making me thank my lucky stars.
2. The Graduation of Jake Moon by Barbara Park. Excellent young adult book that is very much from the perpective of a boy.
1. Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes. Enjoyable chick lit.

2 comments:

dmd said...

So jealous of your grown-up looking livingroom!

Kelli in the Mirror said...

I just finished Swapping Lives also. I liked it too. :) I really want more about the American family and how the orchard thing goes for them.