What were you doing 10 years ago?
Working as an "office assistant" at a university, hating every minute of it. Just starting therapy and the whole struggle with finding drugs that worked. Doc said I was bipolar and started me on Depakote. I gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks and I was a mess. I had just broken off an engagement after he said he didn't like me on the drugs (oh, and he was not the guy for me in any other way). Living in my first real apartment alone. I had a twin size mattress on the floor, a TV from my grandmother, a trunk, a folding table and one rickety metal stool, and the cool chair my sisters found at the side of the road for me.
It was one of those times in your life that you just have to live through. I liked the idea of certain things in my life and I had definitely moved up in the world from sleeping on the floor on a pile of blankets that winter. And deciding if I wanted to go back to school to become a teacher. I try not to think about that time too much.
What were you doing 1 year ago?
Settling into the first house we owned together, my first house. Just found out that Kelli's little boy was on the way.
Five snacks you enjoy:
- Peanut butter
Hmm, which ones shall I list? I love music and I love to listen to the same songs over and over until I get tired of them. Makes it easier to learn all the words.
- The Way We Were, Barbra Streisand. When was the last time I mentioned that I was named after a character in a movie who was a communist with a kick-ass manicure?
- Pandora's Box, OMD. Yeah, mom & dad, the line is "Only 17 when all your dreams came true, but all you wanted was someone to interest you."
- Hell, Squirrel Nut Zippers. "In the afterlife..." Gotta love a song where you get to spell out D-A-M-N-A-T-ION.
- If I Only Had a Brain, MC900Ft Jesus. Used to sing that one at the top of my lungs, referring to some dumb boy or other. "Suppose I accidentally got my shit together... if I had a clue, would I still be here with you? ... "
- Saturday Night at the Movies, Ben E. King. "There's always lots of pretty girls with figures they don't try to hide, but they never can compare to the girl sitting by my side"
- Peter, Paul & Mary
- Simon & Garfunkel
- Neil Diamond
- Depeche Mode
- Pet Shop Boys
- Quit my job and volunteer when I got bored
- Build a fabulous contemporary house with a pool long enough to swim laps in and a staff to clean it.
- Travel across Europe with Ryan
- Buy every dress my acquisitive little heart could desire
- I'm sure I could come up with a 5th thing to do. I wouldn't have a job so I'd have time to think of things that I wanted to do.
- Letting my gas tank get so empty I'm driving through the ghetto on fumes
- Rubbing and picking at my ears
- Putting my hands in/near my mouth when I read
- Buying books when I haven't read the books I already bought
- Not eating breakfast
- Watching movies
- Hanging out with friends
- Listening to music
- Pantyhose with Wigwams (socks) and white sneakers
- Anything more than 1 size larger than I actually am.
- Flannel (outside the house)
- iPod nano
- Polar heartrate monitor
- cell phone
- Piglet and the other plush toys