Saturday, June 23, 2007

"Reading" audio books

I tend to feel that you can't really count listening to an audio book as reading it. (Wasn't there an episode of Sex and the City about this?) But if you listen to the entire unabridged version, you've done something with it, right?

So, how about listening to almost the entire unabridged version on CD, say, while you're on a long car trip? When you get home, you reserve the book from the library and finish reading it. Can you count it on your list of books read? How much do you have to read to count it? This reminds me of people who argue how much of Mass you can miss before it doesn't "count." Who cares. Point is you got the content, right?

Since I might not list it along with the other books I've read:

Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams
What a fantastic mystery. So what, it's a young adult book. It's a pretty great story on its own. Personally, I find good young adult books to be good for helping me stay connected with my students. It's not so much staying "hip" because there's the Urban Dictionary for that, but for remembering where their heads are.

And because I am a sucker for a sequel or a series, I am pleased to say that this one is the latter. Book two, Behind the Curtain, is already available. Let's see if I can wait until the library gets it or if I'll buy it. Tomorrow.

5 comments:

shoeaddict said...

I'm responding to your comments on my blog with comments of my own. Like crazy... :) Just lettin ya know. Also, I'm a big loser and my husband is out of town so, you never know when new stuff will pop up.
Kristen

Rooney said...

"Reading" audio books is about the only way I'll actually make it through a book. ADHD tends to inhibit me from making much progress with an actual book. Noise is distracting, silence is distracting, my own brain is distracting.

I've actually only made it through two complete books:

"Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception" - because of the subject matter (duh)

"The Da Vinci Code" - because of the style of writing and short chapters, I was able to put it down and pick it back up frequently without missing the rhythm.

But audio books are great for the drive to/from work, school, trips, etc. It may not count to some people, but it works for me!

zydeco fish said...

It's better that watching the movie and claiming that you have read the book :-)

Kelli in the Mirror said...

I can't focus on audio books. Or at least, I can't do anything else but listen. It's like trying to walk and chew gum. I fall down.
Maybe in the car I could listen to one. But otherwise, forget it. :)

shoeaddict said...

I tagged you!! I'll e-mail you