Monday, August 13, 2007

Booty!

Turns out I'm going to be teaching 10th grade as well as 12th. Just one class of 10th, though. So, this pile of books is for two classes for this semester. Granted, the kids won't read everything. For example, they won't read all of The Canterbury Tales. But I'll re-read them. And read the prologue to them in Middle English because I'm mean like that. My friend Susanna would be proud.

And happy news is that I'm actually off for another 5 days before we have to go back for real. Instead of doing horrible professional development that is useless, we have to do 5 days some time this year. I've already done 2-4 of them depending on whether or not the chem classes I took are acceptable. At any rate, I'm not going on a stupid ropes course like one of the schools where I used to teach. And have I mentioned that it's over 100 degrees every day with a heat index in the 110+ range? Who thought that was a good idea?!?

Everybody was really nice today. Very friendly and welcoming and helpful. I don't know whose rooms I'm going to be "floating" into yet. For those of you not in the know, in schools with not enough space, certain teachers change classrooms every class period into rooms where the regular occupant is off for a period. Not the best and not the worst. I don't have to decorate. And all my stuff is Fox E. Flinn and astronomy-not-appropriate-for-science. I'll have a cubicle in the library. So, a good day. I am so pleased!

7 comments:

dmd said...

I thought that you had to come back right after Christmas if you don't work this week. They didn't vote for the waiver?

Kate said...

They voted for a different waiver, apparently.

shoeaddict said...

My mouth is watering over those books. Can I come over and read at your house while Ryan makes me meatballs??

Lainey-Paney said...

ugh.that's a lot of reading.

Kate said...

Well, Miss Lainey, if you want to get an A in the class you'd better quit whining and start reading!

:)

Lawfrog said...

I am beyond happy for you that you got this job! It sounds so much better than where you were. I also think it's very cool that you are teaching English. It was my favorite subject in school.

Matt said...

You should reserve some of the more heinous Canterbury Tales ("Pardoner's Tale," I'm looking at you!) for if they act up. Or better yet, The Sound and the Fury. That oughta learn 'em!


manic sent me.