Wednesday, August 29, 2007

English teacher

Who's that? Oh right, ME!

I am loving it. I don't have my own classroom, I "float" into a grand total of 5 rooms (for 5 classes) with my stuff loaded onto a rolling cart, my belongings in the most organized state they've ever been in. I even have a little craft/tackle box with pens and stuff. It's my portable desk drawer. Disgustingly organized. Wrestling with all that stuff is a challenge, to say the least, as is wrestling with five different people's computers. But all first year teachers at this school do it and it's WORTH IT.

I am busy all the time since everything I do is new. Although, BSing about books is second nature to me. I am already missing grading by scantron and reading things written by people who made my former department chair's alien-speak seem literate is a little frightening. But I'm surprised to realize that it bothers me less than kids naming acids things like hydroselaci acid. At least I can help with writing.

Oh, and a student from the old school has transferred to the new school and for some reason he's in my regular-level class. Yesterday he was asking me a physics question. I didn't teach him last year (he had the teacher next to me), so he knew that I taught science, but not that I mostly sucked at it. I was like, honey, I wish I could help, but I can't. The prospect of teaching physics was the final straw in my I-need-a-new-job thinking. I really like chemistry, but physics-- I HATE IT.

So... all is good. My sophomore class is testing me and failing. Haha. If they only knew. I did respond to one girl's "Jesus Christ" after I told her to be quiet and read, "He wants you to read, too." Rude on so many levels. The seniors are delightful (remind me I said this in the spring when they don't want to do ANYTHING). They answer questions and think that reading a story about a warrior who kills people and dragons is cool (Beowulf). They even sat through learning about Old English today. And then the lights went out because of the storm, they just laughed and then pulled out their phones. No screaming.

Oh, and I love when people at this school whine. Another teacher who came from a similar school to the old one was saying they need to spend a day or two in the ghetto. Then they would shut their mouths fast! But most people are generally happy and too busy working to bitch too much. But I need to either work on things for school or sleep. I am so tired right now. Bone tired. For once I'm not blogging not because I'm depressed, but because I'm busy and happy and tired from working hard. And dragging the cart around and running up and down stairs.

I LOVE MY JOB!!!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you are enjoying your new job and that it's everything you hoped it would be. I hope the honeymoon never ends!

Kelli in the Mirror said...

I'm so excited for you! YAY!

shoeaddict said...

I'm so glad you like it and are happy. Warms my heart

shoeaddict said...

ooooooooh, all those supplies. i wanna do an assignment for you Mrs Simpson

Zolafan said...

way to go, Kate - I'll bet you will be right about your seniors next spring, though...

Shelby said...

I'm glad you like it too!

k said...

I love it that you're having such a good time. Those kids don't know how blessed they are to have you!

Lawfrog said...

I cannot tell you how happy I am for you! Loving your job is so rare and so wonderful. Enjoy it, you have more than earned it.