Wednesday, August 08, 2007

GOOD NEWS!

I will be teaching all 12th grade English at a really great high school this fall.




Yup. English. No science. New school. Better school. GOOD school. It has its issues, but I can cope. Going from ghetto rats to snotty rich kids. I think I'm up for the challenge. :)

I'm a little nervous about teaching something I've never done before, but it will be easy to find the motivation. Not like trying to teach physics, for example. Which is one bullet I dodged by leaving the old school. Pre-AP no less. I did gain a certain appreciation for it towards the end of the last year I taught it, but it just took so much effort and I surely didn't like it or even love it.

So, now I'll get PAID to talk about books. How cool is that? Now I have to unearth our copies of 1984 and Brave New World so I can read them before I go back since they're my kids' summer reading assignment...

7 comments:

dmd said...

better watch the movies too, since thats what your kids will be doing ;)

jUnEbUg said...

If your gonna be a teacher, I say teach english. I love grammar. And reading.

Boo science. And boo math!!

shoeaddict said...

Yay you!

BIG hug

Kate said...

Thanks, ladies! I'm all excited!

Lainey-Paney said...

So...um what's a subjunctive verb, and can you use it in a sentence?

I hate grammar! I can't even answer the question above.
I think I'm pretty articulate when I speak & write...but don't you dare ask me to deconstruct and properly label a sentence. I would sooooo fail.

Lainey-Paney said...

Oh---and I was that kid that did not want to analyze anything...

maybe the color purple has nothing to do with royalty...maybe the grapes were purple because they're purple grapes instead of green grapes. i was the kind of kid that wanted to just take everything at face value & not look for underlying meaning, etc.
I hope you don't get any kids like me (or rather, like I was) in your class!

dmd said...

I was a worse kid than Lainey. I would read just enough of the book (usually on the day of the test) to pass the test with a B. I read really fast and would get bored and distract the rest of the students. I never failed a test in high school so they never had good enough reason to call my mom. I hope you never have a kid like me either....but I know you will ;-) Even I hate the kids who are like I was!