Thursday, September 13, 2007

I made a girl cry

before 8AM.

Sigh. Granted, I was completely right in what I said and how I said it. She and her friend were talking while I was talking. And then tried to say that they were just telling each other what we were doing. No, I was telling them what we were doing. I thought everything had blown over and I looked up and the one girl is in tears. And she continued to cry all class period. I felt badly and went to make sure that she was okay. The thing is, I used to be the girl who cried all class period. And then I would get over it. And she'll get over it.

I will move her friend to the other side of the classroom. She's always moving to be closer to the board and the other girl (the crier) will stay where she is and I'll move a little ESL girl who's been hiding and she'll actually help her.

I am still loving my job. The fights I have with these kids are so minor in comparison to what I was dealing with before. They're still adolescents and they still have problems, real problems. But no one has cussed me out or thrown anything at me--or anyone else for that matter. Other than crabbing about kids bringing their books to class (and the previous crying incident), the big incident was 10th grade boys in another class who drew permanent marker mustaches on their faces for picture day. I had to keep from laughing while I waited for my kids to get their pictures taken. Their teacher didn't even fuss at them. She said there wasn't really any point since she knew they'd have to deal with whatever happened later. Turns out, the photographer just wouldn't take their picture. Mwahaha!

My picture was taken before school started:

5 comments:

dmd said...

Thats a great picture! I saw Teague today :-)

Kate said...

Thanks! I don't miss the ghetto, but I do miss you! :)

Teague! We all should get a medal for surviving that year.

Kelli in the Mirror said...

That really is a fabulous picture. My mom came in brushing her teeth while I was reading this post, and was signing "beautiful" and going mmm! MMM! with her mouth full of foam. :)

shoeaddict said...

Awww, you look so sweet! Not like the horrible teacher who makes you cry in class.

That was so me, too! I was a talker and the teacher would tell me to be quiet and I would cry. I was WRONG and I still would cry.

jUnEbUg said...

I talked. Got yelled at. NEVER cried. Got sent out of the room. Kept on talking.

Still made good grades, tho. So I say its all good.