Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What's a maidenhead?

Real conversation after reading aloud about a knight coming upon a maiden and against her wishes, taking her maidenhead:

Me: So, what just happened?
Student1: He cut off her head?
Me: Um, no...
Student2: He raped her. (glaring and rolling eyes at Student1)
Me: Why yes, that's right.
Student1 (confused): So, what's a maidenhead?
Me: Uh... (my face on the evening news flashing before my eyes)
...there's a reason I wasn't a biology teacher... it's, um...
Student2-29: Shut up, stupid!
Student1 (answer dawning on him, blushes)

We're reading The Canterbury Tales, specifically, an expurgated version of The Wife of Bath's Tale from our textbook. I'm usually pretty matter-of-fact when it comes to questions like that, but all I could think of were words like "hymen" (iwww). They're seniors so they can take a lot, but still. I love my job.

2 comments:

Julie said...

That is an awesome story. You know you're at a much better school because only one kid didn't know what a maidenhead was rather than only one kid knowing what it was!

shoeaddict said...

I tagged you