Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's not so much that I'm a bad wife as a BAD PERSON

Our long training run was supposed to be Saturday morning but there was a huge storm coming so they postponed it until today. Other than almost completely throwing off our schedule, it worked out really nicely. We got to see Mercury Baroque on Friday night and stay for the entire show rather than having to leave halfway through. This morning we got up at 4ish and got all lubed up and dressed. I wore my new sneakers (first pair in about 2 years), socks, long running tights, long bra, short-sleeved shirt, long-sleeved shirt, windbreaker, heart-rate monitor, watch, gloves, fuel belt... Oh, and my adorable pink hat! I made my PB&J and made one for Ryan but he was dragging some serious ass. Then he was stomping around swearing and trying to find a particular-size screw driver to fix the watch for his heart rate monitor. My response, HURRY, GET READY, et cetera. Jeez. Turns out he'd already eaten and done everything else. He did forgive me for being a complete shrew and kissed me before we split up at the park. And did his I'm putting this one in my pocket pantomime. Stinker. We met with our groups and then met to sing the national anthem and took off. The walkers and slow full-marathon runners had already left at 4:30(!), the full-marathon runners took off in one direction and we took off in the other, although they still managed to overtake us pretty soon. We ran down the street past our house, down Shepherd to Gray to the rest station at Luke's Locker. They had all kinds of crazy snacks--banana bits, PB&J bites, etc. that I stayed away from (I stuck with my chocolate mint GU) and refilled some of my bottles with water and Powerade, heavy on the water since it was a test for the real race and I know they'll have water. We ran down to Rice, crossed Main Street (managing, just barely, to dodge the light rail because it's so scary and dangerous--another story for another time), ran around the reflecting pool and ran back. As we were crossing Main back past Rice, we ran into Ryan and Pam. Pam complimented my adorable hat and Ryan gave me a big wet kiss and gave me his windbreaker to tie around my waist with the other one since he still had about 11-12 miles to run and I was about 6 miles from the car. I told my running friends that he didn't seem to be holding a grudge about my earlier insanity. The way back is always easier psychologically and better physically until closer to the end. You're warm and in the groove and your body is producing all kinds of beautiful brain chemicals. One of my running friends started hurting about 2 miles out from the park and I was sad/glad that I didn't have a house key on me because we came within 3 blocks of our house and it was really tempting to just go home... We slowed down a lot at the end, but we ran across the finish feeling good and strong. 13.6 miles in 3:16 (including water stops) THIRTEEN POINT SIX MILES Who knew I could do that? Once again, I couldn't run a whole mile in July, but training every Saturday and during the week for all these months has made a huge difference. I've only lost about 10 pounds, but I've lost a dress size and I'm healthier and dammit, I've done it. And the actual race in January is a half mile shorter, at 13.1 miles, so I know I can do it. Of course, we're all hoping for cool weather because this week was so much easier than last week. My blood pressure is better, but not being 80 and humid was better. It was dry and in the high 30's. Freezing at the beginning, but fabulous once we got warm. So, once I was done, I went to the car and drank my recovery beverage and waited for Ryan to finish. I had forgotten clothes to change into so I was wet and turned on the car and the heater but I was still chilled and was glad when Ryan showed up half an hour later. Yes, it took him 30 minutes to run 9 more miles than me (21 miles total). We went home and got clean and dressed for church in very warm clothes, stopped at la Madeleine for breakfast and showed up for the choir warm-up very late. I was very apologetic, but everyone was understanding, which was nice. I was still high and fairly flexible, although I made sure I was on the end and spent a lot of time leaning against a pillar and well, forgive me, but having horrific gas. The something died inside me kind. Sorry! After church we came home and napped, although I didn't feel like I slept much, although I probably did. The alarm went off at 2pm and I refrained from punching Ryan for setting it for that time. I mean, we didn't have to be back to church again until 4:30. But after snuggling and avoiding getting up, we creaked downstairs and Ryan brought me Gatorade and a grilled cheese sandwich. After burning about 2,000 calories (according to my heart-rate monitor), that just seemed to make my stomach angry. Feed me MORE! We sang together at Mass--lots of fun Advent things. It went well and then we went with Donald and Jeff to Chuy's for dinner, which is a treat that we haven't had in a long time. Now it's time for more Tylenol, water, and bed. I have to be at school at the normal time, but I'll just hang out in the library until 10 when I have to rearrange the classroom I use so that the desks all face forward rather than towards each other. As previous stated, my kids are such cheaters. And then I'll spend 2 hours staring at them and then do grading or whatever in the afternoon. It's nice that I don't have to do any real teaching. So, off I toddle to bed. Hopefully my knees will stop hurting soon.

5 comments:

K in the Mirror said...

That is freaking incredible. In five months, you've learned to run thirteen miles? I really should stop making excuses and get off my ass, huh? My friend Sara just lost 63 pounds and she said a lot of it was jump-roping. If I run and jump? Hmm.

Wow.

adam said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

Ryan said...

You didn't 'splain that whole "you're a bad person" thing.

Zolafan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zolafan said...

yeah, inquiring minds want to know - why ARE you a bad person?