Friday, January 18, 2008

New Years Meme

Better late than never?

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Teach English. Went to Hungary and finally got to Prague.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
It wasn't exactly a resolution, I had just decided to work out after vacation was over last year. I would do the cardio machines and swim and in July I started running. I ran a 13.6 training run for the half marathon in December and I don't really have any resolutions other than to continue the good stuff I've been doing.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A friend-- WITHOUT DRUGS!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Grandma

5. What countries did you visit?
Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, & France

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my life. Challenges to face, but nothing that I can just resolve neatly. I wouldn't mind peeing on a stick in anticipation and hope rather than abject terror. :)

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm bad with dates.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My New Orleans reading classes. First, I did not kill them and I did not quit. I wanted to. Often. Second, on average their reading levels increased by FOUR GRADE LEVELS. In one semester.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't know, I've fallen down a lot, but I can't remember an instance when I didn't get up again. Well, eventually.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No major injuries for us this past year. The same illness I've had since who knows when-childhood? Ryan was physically sick a lot earlier in the year, but his nose job has helped a lot!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmm, what did I buy this year? Lots of dresses, books, etc. Not one thing stands out. Maybe the French doors we bought with the money I made by selling the old bed. I'm pretty proud of that.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine? I was a pretty darn good teacher to those New Orleans kids. I didn't curse at them or hit them or just walk outside and keep going until I got into my car.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine? I still have a terrible temper and I still am lazy and can't be bothered to do things and then sometimes feel manic and can't control myself completely. Beyond my own house, the president and just about every other politician.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Our mortgage company and Ann Taylor Loft. In that order, but only just barely. Oh, and also to travel expenses.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My friend's new baby!

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
"You Know I'm No Good" Amy Winehouse

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier, probably. Still struggling with my mental health, but certain things are definitely better, like my job!

b) thinner or fatter? Thinner! Maybe 10-15 pounds, but inches lost! Four inches off my hips! A whole dress size smaller. Ryan refers to my Incredible Shrinking Ass. ;)

c) richer or poorer? It's a toss-up. I've made some poor money management decisions lately, what with my head being messed up, but we're going to be okay. We both got modest raises and we're living (mostly) within our means, just trying to save more.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read. Work out during the week. Socialize.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eat. Drink (last summer was not so good). Complain.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home. With Ryan. We celebrated with my family the weekend before and sang the night before, but Christmas was just about us.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Other than my friend's baby, just more in love with Ryan and my friends and family.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men was my new obsession.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nah. I don't have much time for hate.

24. What was the best book you read?
Hmmm... Trimalchio: An Early Version of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald in classics and Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares in the young adult/fluff category.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Amy Winehouse. She is a SKANK, but her music is fabulous! I love that they use it for the Mad Men promos and Ryan knows that if I have it playing, he is going to get LUCKY.

26. What did you want and get?
A NEW JOB!!!

27. What did you want and not get?
Brain candy that works well without tons of side effects and has to be scrapped after a few months.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
What did we see? The Bourne Supremacy, probably.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Nada. Ryan was in New Orleans and I had a miserable day. I'd said he didn't need to come home, but then that day I missing him dreadfully. We both ate sushi that night, only separately. I turned 33.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More satisfying? I dunno.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Flirty full skirts

32. What kept you sane?
Ryan. Friends and family. Blogging. Brain candy.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Daniel Craig

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Something education-related, probably.

35. Who did you miss?
Grandpa & Grandma. Ryan when he was working in New Orleans

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Shoeaddict! Even though we haven't actually met IRL. Yet. :)

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Work hard, keep going, keep hoping, keep trying, and you will eventually get to where you want to go. I wanted to be an English teacher back in 1996, if not earlier, and I taught my first reading class 11 years later. I couldn't run a whole mile in July and I ran 13.6 in December.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Things can only get better
Can only get better
Now I've found you
...

You show me how
I must learn to deal with this disease
I look at things now
In a different light than I did before
I found the cause
And I think that you could be my cure
...
Things Can Only Get Better, D:ream

Seriously, watch this video. Seriously.

1 comment:

Shoeaddict said...

YET... but, we will!

I think I may do this.