Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pray for us this morning

We're singing at the funeral of our friend's father. He was elderly and ill and suffering, so it is a relief in a way. But our friend is younger than we are and she's taking care of all of the details herself. She is holding it together, but we expect she'll really need us once this is all over and everyone goes home.

In the meantime, Ryan and I have to keep it together from 10-11 this morning. No. Matter. What. No sniffling, crying, or anything like that. It's not a performance, but I don't want to sing with a throat full of phlegm. I'm there for my friend and to honor her dad. I can cry later.

It doesn't make it easier that we're singing songs that get me choked up on a good day:

Psalm 27
Be Not Afraid
Psalm 23
My Soul in Stillness Waits
There is a Balm in Gilead
Ave Maria
Song of the Angels
Glorious in Majesty

4 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

Awww...I'm sorry for you guys & for your friend.

Manic Mom said...

Oh man, I hope it went without tears during the time you could not cry. I am sure you were strong when you needed to be!

So sorry for your friend's loss. You are a good person to be there to do this!

Kate said...

Thanks, ladies! It went well. As well as it could go. Ryan and I sang and it felt really good to be able to DO something. I had a lot of extra vibrato on the Ave Maria because it was the first time I'd done it as a solo. And I got through the closing song until the last three notes and I literally got choked up. I couldn't make a sound. Ah well. There weren't very many people in the church at that point.

Loni said...

Oh Kate, I am praying for your friend. That must be so very hard. She's lucky/blessed to have friends like you are Ryan.