Monday, February 18, 2008

An Xiety Dream

Last night I had the strangest dream...

...I was trying on clothes and was deciding which of three purses I would buy. Big expensive bags. I bought two. I think one was green. Then I had a baby. Didn't really notice that I was pregnant before. After the baby was born I remember someone like my mom giving the baby a bottle. I was like, what happened? I didn't plan or get things or have a shower. All I had was an old-school bouncer with a green terry-cloth cover. I went to visit my friend and I was sitting in her living room. I was there and I remembered that I had left the baby at home. I went to get the baby and he was about four days old and I hadn't fed him yet. I said, maybe I'll try breastfeeding and everyone was like, um, no, it's too late. There are some other random details that I've forgotten. You get the point.

It was so traumatic that when the alarm went off I begged to snooze it so I could go back to a deep, dark place where I hadn't neglected my baby. I told Ryan about the dream and he agreed it was probably just anxiety.

6 comments:

dmd said...

Probably anxiety over something you feel you neglected and nothing to do with a baby at all. I hate anxiety dreams. And stress dreams. And school dreams. And the one where I am chewing a giant piece of gum that every time I take it out of my mouth, it grows bigger and wraps around my teeth. I'm not even making that up.

K in the Mirror said...

dmd, i've heard that if you dream your teeth are falling out, you feel guilty about something. not sure about gum wrapping around them though.

kate, those dreams are terrifying when you have kids too. :) i dreamed once i left her on top of the car like raising arizona.

i hope you feel less anxious soon!!

zydeco fish said...

That's a bit distressing. I am terrible at interpreting dreams, even when they contain things like cigars, so I have no idea what it means.

Julie said...

Oh, man if you think the dreams are upsetting and weird now, wait until pregnancy! I would wake up sobbing sometimes because I'd dreamt that I'd abandoned the baby. Or one time, I left her in my car accidentally and then my car got shrunk down and turned into a toy on the shelf at Goodwill. If you can figure that one out, please share with me!

Julie said...

I just had to comment again to leave the one my father had when my mother was pregnant with me. He dreamt he was giving me a bath in the sink and I just melted and turned into goo that washed down the drain. How awful!

Kate said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one!