Thursday, March 27, 2008

Overshare!

Okay, not really. I am the queen of the overshare. Ryan calls it Verbal Diarrhea, which is such a gross term. It is, however, accurate.

Background:
I have bipolar disorder and I take medications ( currently lithium and Lamictal). Certain medications are more or less harmful than others. My husband and I are hoping to have a baby some day. Maybe sometime soon (within a year?). I am seeing a psychiatrist who is sending me for a consultation with a psychiatrist who specializes in women with bipolar disorder and pregnancy. She (the consultation psychiatrist) also has a book about this very topic that I am going to get from the library after school. So, I am getting all the medical facts from actual healthcare professionals (sites like WebMD are panic inducing), but I would like some anecdotal evidence. What was it like for you? How is your baby? Did you choose not to have children? Were you successful in adopting?

So...
O Internet, send me mamas who have had (or will have) their babies while taking meds (or not taking meds) for bipolar disorder. Or depression. Or any other psychological disorder that requires (or recommeds) medication. Dads are welcome to comment as well. In fact, your perspective would help as well.

Send me your stories or links to your blogs. If it's too personal to share with the entire internet, you can email me at the address in my profile. I won't publish anything unless you say it's okay.



Thank you so much!
-Kate

6 comments:

Pea Pod Mommy said...

I will be praying for you as you begin this journey...

Kate said...

Pea Pod Mommy, I can't tell you how much that means to me!

Alli said...

I'll pray for you as well. And while I haven't had to deal with the issues you're dealing with, I want to help. I don't have a huge a readership, but can I put a post up on my blog directing women who might be able to help over here?

AlaneM said...

Hi Kate.
I wish I could help you with this but I didn't start on my meds until after my last pregnancy. However, I do have an example of a PMS/depression day in my life. Yesterday was NOT a good day & I dumped my feelings all over my blog. Kinda like what your hubby described :)
Anyway, I'll add this to my usual prayers for you & link to ya like Alli if you want. I don't have a lot of readers or anything but ya never know.
Bless you!!

Kate said...

Alli, Thanks so much! I really appreciate you offering to post about this. And many thanks for the prayers!

AlaneM, I'm still feeling bad for you about your crummy day. I would love a link on your blog. Thanks! =)

spacemonkey said...

I am WAY too young to be having kids yet, but I thought I would add my two cents.
I also am taking lamictal, and I am battling with something else called PCOS, and my hormones will have to be SUPER balanced when I get pregnant, if I even ever CAN get pregnant, so I am emotionally reaching out to you. My cousin sent me a link to this, so I thought I would share, and my thoughts reach out to you during this time!