Monday, May 26, 2008

Dear Designers,

I am "watching" HGTV while I clean the office. Most of the time my back is to the TV, but I do watch the parts that are interesting. And mostly listen and mock. Everyone.

I have written about how I feel about the term "glammy," but this is worse:


SIMPLISTIC


Designers keep using it to describe someone else's work, and even worse, their own.

Because I am one to never let an opportunity to quote The Princess Bride pass,


"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."


Simple is good. Simplistic is not so good.

5 comments:

Tim said...

In my field it is the use of the word "programmatically" when what they mean is mechanized or automated.

AlaneM said...

I don't know how you can stand to read my posts. I'm sure I misspell a lot & I like to make up my own words sometimes.
You english teachers, sheesh!

Kate said...

Tim- I am confused how they would even use that.

AlaneM- Have you read mine?? A nightmare. (Sentence fragment) No worries--I don't judge my friends.

Kate said...

P.S. And I watched/listened to WAY too many hours of HGTV this weekend and heard the same things over and over again. I should write a completely different post about the terms Zen, Moroccan, and Tuscan when used in decorating shows.

Tim said...

Example:
"We are going to have the website send the users confirmation emails programatically."

My big cheese with HGTV is when they use modern completely wrong. Like:

"I want something really modern, like a tuscan theme."