Thursday, May 22, 2008

My latest project


Actually, I've been working on this for a while now. Months. I teach all seniors so my kids are 17-19 years old. (At least) one is married. Three others have given birth since New Year's. And four more are pregnant. So... seven. SEVEN. Yowza. And those are the ones I know about.

I wanted to do something but I didn't want to make a huge fuss in the don't-encourage-teen-pregnancy way. At the same time, this is these girl's lives and their babies are no less deserving of a little fuss than any other babies. So I came up with the idea of getting them each a book for the baby. I found board books in English and Spanish (I've been asking the girls over the past few months what language they speak at home). They're pretty classic Eric Carle books and my newest favorite from the Gossie series--Peedie.

I wrapped them up and I'll slip them to the girls after their finals. I wrote them notes and reminded them to read aloud and go to the library since it's free and they have great programs. So, yes, I am also hoping to help the next generation of readers.

11 comments:

Junebug said...

Ooo...really good thing you are doing!!! I seriously approve.

K in the Mirror said...

Such a sweet mentor/ teacher/ lovely person you are.

And I really love your wrappings.

KatieBug said...

That is so kind of you! That is a great way to be encouraging to the girls and remind them to read to the babies. And they are SO pretty! :)

zydeco fish said...

That is a great idea. Eric Carle is great. My daughter can't get enough of Pancakes! Pancakes! for some reason.

Shoeaddict said...

You are so wonderful, Kate! I love the pretty paper.

I cannot wrap to save my soul.

Loni said...

What an amazing teacher you are. :)

Kate said...

Thanks so much, guys! I was really hoping that it was a good idea and it would go over well. I presented the first 2 today and the girls were very pleased and hugged me. =)

Oh, and the wrapping? It's my mom's influence. She's all crafty like that.

Mary said...

That's so sweet! And a great way to encourage early reading!

Alli said...

So kind. What a really special thing to do. You never will know what an impact you made on those girls and, indirectly, on their children.

AlaneM said...

Wow, how many students are in your class?

That is a really cool thing to do. I think it's going to stick with them, the memory of you treating them so nicely. Who knows what will come of it someday?

My lil sis was preggo in HS & some of her teachers treated her like crap after they found out. One was even mad she decided to put him up for adoption instead of killing him. It made everything much harder for her. But then, she was the only girl in the whole school that was preggo. Times have changed! Ironicly she gave her baby to a (nice, duh) teacher at our school & his wife.
Now Matthew (named for our last name) is a strapping 16 year old & the most awesome kid around. His family treated ours like extended family, they are amazing.

Anyway, great way to encourage your students & let them know you care.

Kate said...

You can't know what it means to me to hear these lovely words.

AlaneM- thank you for sharing your story. I so wanted to not be that teacher who was mean, but I also didn't want to make this huge fuss in front of the other kids... It's hard to know what's the right thing to do. I know that teacher family love the gift that your sister gave to them. And how lovely that he is a part of your extended family.

I have about 120 kids total, so 7 pregnant is a lot and not a lot. They're 18-20 and one girl was married before she got pregnant. I still don't understand why there are so many pregnancies now vs. when we were kids. There was a lot of unprotected sex when we were in HS. But that's a whole 'nother subject.