Monday, June 02, 2008

Graduation Day

Yesterday. I got to line up a group of students, including 4 or 5 of mine and lead them into the stadium. I saw them walk across the stage and clapped for everyone. I was pleased for all of them, pleased for us that a few of them would never bother us again.

There were names that I didn't hear that saddened me. Last week was the week when kids found out that they weren't going to graduate now. Most of them will graduate in August at a ceremony with all of the graduates from the entire district. They'll still walk, but not with their friends.

My students were happy to see me and shook my hand or hugged me. And thanked me. That's why I put up with everything. Not the thanks, but for what's behind it. Sometimes I get the feeling that maybe I've done something positive for these kids.

So, today I'm feeling a little sad because I won't see most of them ever again.

Later this week, I'll teach summer school and be with my repeaters, probably including the Xerox King.* And then in August it will be a whole new crew of seniors if I'm lucky enough to get them.


* A few kids went old-school when "sharing" work on their research papers. Or something like that. (Any similarity to real people or events strictly unintentional)

6 comments:

Becca in Texas said...

Our graduation is tonight and I am half excited and half fearful. I am afraid I will be sappy and cry. My line of kids has 125 kids in it. So I am hoping the insane nature of the whole thing will keep me too busy to bawl like a baby.

Kate said...

Becca, I can totally relate. Two years ago I went and just sobbed. And made quite a spectacle of myself. So this time, any time I started to cry I told myself "it's about them today." It helped. But really, if you get teary, they don't really mind. Just bring Kleenex. =)

And making sure that they are all under control does help distract you. I hopped up and straightened one of my special student's cap and tassel. They were hopelessly askew. He was surprised and a little embarrassed, but I didn't care--his mom wanted a good picture of him.

Shoeaddict said...

How long is Summer School?

Kate said...

Shoe- 4 weeks. And only in the mornings! Yay for extra money and afternoons free.

Swistle said...

I still remember my high school teachers very fondly--much better than I remember my college professors. High school teachers make a bigger difference in how kids end up.

Moses said...

Just wanted to thank you for being my biggest fan who isn't blood related!