Monday, June 16, 2008

Recipe time

This is my mom's modified Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe made into much healthier bars or "brownies". I grew up making them, added a variation or two of my own, and mostly have it committed to memory. I called her and it turned out that I'd only forgotten 1 thing. So, here it is...

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or white sugar + 6T dark molasses, although sometimes I add the molasses even if I do have the brown sugar--it's a texture/moisture preference)
  • 6 T dark molasses (optional--see above)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1 t salt (I usually use about 1/4 t)

Instructions:
  1. Cream oil and sugar (and molasses if you use it)*.
  2. Beat in eggs and vanilla
  3. Add dry ingredients--flour, wheat germ, salt, and baking powder--stir until uniformly mixed
  4. Stir in chocolate chips
  5. Spread into greased 9x13 pan
  6. Bake in 375 oven for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
* If you use white sugar and molasses, which I tend to like because I think it has more molasses than whatever amount they took out to make the white sugar white, my suggestion is to first combine the oil and molasses and then the sugar. It just makes it easier to mix them up.


I recommend cutting them the way my mom did to make the "brownies" more uniform for serving. Cut a line down each side of the pan about 1/2" from the edge and then cut the rest of the brownies into 1" squares. Then, you have the slightly crispy, delicious "edges" to eat because they're just not fit for guests! This was my mom's idea and it's just so deliciously naughty.

All ingredients (minus vanilla)--love the Nigella Lawson robin's egg blue--thanks sisters!

Look at these cute measuring spoons. The littlest is "a pinch!"

Mixing oil and molasses...

Let's just pause and look at the adorable measuring cups...
Oil, molasses, and sugar. If you're normal and just use brown sugar or white sugar + molasses, it would be a more golden brown color.
Oh yes, you need vanilla... Any will do, although I'm a big fan of Mexican vanilla. Ryan got this in Neuvo Laredo on his last no-insurance anti-biotic run. That was probably 5 years ago. (Thank you God, for health insurance!)
Beat in eggs and vanilla...
Add dry ingredients...
Mix...
Stir in chocolate chips. I used the fancy schmancy ones, but I've had great luck with the most bargainy-bargain brands as long as they're semi-sweet. Although if you like milk chocolate, go with that.
It is even lumpier-looking than this usually. That's okay.
Cool. Let it cool. Seriously. Walk away. If you don't, they're just not as pretty. (See below)
Cut them up and serve them. And keep the edges for yourself!
My address is...
And that's for the kitchen... Crispy, crunchy, and chocolatey! And healthy!

4 comments:

Loni said...

These look awesome. I think I'll be making these the next time I want choc chip cookies. Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

Loni, happy to share! Ryan loves them because they have a great texture. And although they're dessert, they have lots of healthy parts. The wheat germ is chock full of vitamins and it adds a really cool flakiness to it (in a good way). =)

I didn't add that you should refrigerate them after a day. The wheat germ has vitamin E in it and it needs to be refrigerated. I love that you can get that in a dessert!

AlaneM said...

Oh. My. Gosh.
Those look SO GOOD!!!
And I love that they are healthy, that's too cool :)
I try to make stuff with whole wheat & love adding wheat germ for an extra kick. Another fave is oatmeal, I put that in peanut butter cookies a lot.
I've been looking for some good snack ideas for the kids, this will be great as a sometimes treat-snack.

AlaneM said...

That's if I can keep my hands off long enough to give them some LOL!