Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer School!

It's going really well. And not just because ANYTHING goes well if you only have to do it 3 hours a day. I take off at 11am. How awesome is that? Being there at 7:30 isn't bad. And the kids are still asleep most of the class. They have a break at about 9 and after that they come back all hopped up on sugar, but then they crash and calm down.

First we read As You Like It. They liked it well enough. I wanted to read a comedy and I either hadn't read that one or hadn't read it in a zillion years. It had all the "confusements" and cross-dressing that you'd expect and we kept stopping to discuss everything. They did fairly well on their quizzes. Well, except for the kids who refuse to make their study guides (I didn't even print them anything--they can make it themselves--plus it doesn't constrain them to a certain amount of space).

We watched the movie (2006 version) on Tuesday and they liked it. They were confused by some of it still, but some of them said it helped.

Then we read The Hound of the Baskervilles. At first I felt kind of apologetic that I was going to have seniors read it, but it is British lit and there were copies in the book room. Of course, now I'm teaching mostly freshmen and maybe one kid in the whole room had even heard of Sherlock Holmes. So I felt better about it. It took us maybe three days to read it--aloud and listening to a CD. And of course, our trusty study guides. So, we watched the movie yesterday. A little cheesy. OK, a lot cheesy. They did want to rewind all the death scenes. Um, no.

Now we're reading A Room with a View. We're halfway through and about half the class is finally on the bandwagon with me. I wanted to show them the first half of a movie, but due to my fight with the USPS (our local carrier doesn't always pick up mail--yet another reason for our "mailbox") and laziness. I'm going to show it Monday. The version of the movie I watched recently ends in a way that I hadn't remembered. I am not going to read ahead because it is summer and I am lazy, so if we get to the end and it happens that way, I am going to throw the book across the room. I'm just saying.

After that, I don't know what we're going to do. I made the quiz for A Room with a View and I made the final. I made all the copies. Now the copy room is closed for the summer and if I'm too lazy to read ahead, I am surely too lazy to make (and pay for) more copies. We'll find something to do. Maybe Brighton Rock? I'm working from a short list--Brit lit that the seniors don't usually do that we have copies of in the book room.

Blah, blah, blah.

2 comments:

K in the Mirror said...

I never read As You Like It. Maybe I'll see the movie- I like Kenneth Branagh and Bryce Dallas Howard both. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything that wasn't directed by M. Night what's his name. :)

Kate said...

I liked it. We watched it with subtitles. Maybe it's just my scatterbrain lately, but I was having trouble keeping up with all the characters without it.