Saturday, August 02, 2008

I never posted pictures of my birthday cake

Ryan was inspired by the mascarpone cake from Central Market. He made 3 6" layers of vanilla cake and 3 6" layers of chocolate and then sliced them in half. The layers were (starting at the bottom):

  • chocolate cake
  • chocolate frosting
  • vanilla cake
  • chocolate hazelnut frosting that he made
  • chocolate cake
  • mascarpone frosting
  • vanilla cake
  • chocolate hazelnut frosting
  • chocolate cake
  • chocolate hazelnut frosting (chocolate on the sides)
It made two small cakes so we kept one at the house and took the other to our friends' house. It was so, so, so good! I was so impressed with him for making the things and figuring out how to make the frostings. Yum!


7 comments:

K in the Mirror said...

Oh. My. Heavens.

You are seriously going to have to write a post about something really stupid he did to screw something up. He's making everybody else look bad. Running marathons, installing floors, and now baking cakes too? Kick-ass cakes? :)

That looks so incredibly good.

Alli said...

WOW!! I'm thoroughly impressed!

Mary said...

Wow. I drooled.

Zolafan said...

I'll be glad to handle that "saying bad things about Ryan" gig, just in case you need it...

shoeaddict said...

Yummy! I want it. I think. But I don't know what mascarpone is or tastes like. I'm not a big fan of most icings.

Kate said...

K- if it helps, he had me cut the layers and assemble the cakes ;)

Zolafan- always coming through in a pinch

Shoe-it's a soft cheese, so it's kind of like cream cheese frosting

shoeaddict said...

I read the wikipedia definition and it sounds yummy.