Sunday, August 10, 2008

Project Update 8/10/08

Ryan's almost done with the 2nd floor flooring project. This is so exciting! He's been planning it for more than a year, I worked summer school to buy the bamboo and last week Ryan got started...

One reason we're covering the existing pine floors. They are soft, cheap, and poorly finished in addition to being uneven and laid before they dried out so there were deep cracks full of glue and dirt (and other scary things):
The planer that was making us all edgy. It did attach to the Shop Vac to help with cleanup.

Laying the 3/4" plywood and screwing it down. Note the plastic spacers.Fancy high-tech television blast shield.
All the plywood laid out (black asphalt paper--in roll--underneath). Supervisor making sure everything is okay.
Fridge and all other appliances banished from kitchen.
Cork floor! Cleaner! Smoother! Doesn't hurt your feet! No gaps for food to fall into and rot in!
Laying another layer of asphalt paper. There are not going to be any creaks in this floor!

Pneumatic nail gun. Tilly thought that she hated the planer. This thing is horrible--the nailer part and the compressor, too. Add to that, Ryan still is doing a lot of work whacking the boards together.Unable to get up.The end is truly in sight!
And then he is going to put baseboards back on and do both sets of stairs. And then rest for a while, I hope. We also want bamboo on the 3rd floor (our bedroom) and the first floor. And then someday, far in the future, the master bath needs some serious help. I'm very lucky to have such cute cheap labor!

5 comments:

Lainey-Paney said...

tell me how much you love your cork flooring. I've been wondering about cork flooring... I've heard of it, but never seen it in person...

Loni said...

...And then he can come over here and do our floors too! No? Well, I had to try.

They look awesome. He is such a handy hubby! :)

Zolafan said...

damn, I'm tired just reading the description and looking at the pics! (well, and I did indeed run after I saw you at mass - yay me!) Way to go, Ryan.

the first time I heard you mention bamboo floors, have to say I thought about bamboo screens, you know, using the whole shoot. I thought, "man, isn't that going to be a little uncomfortable, walking across semi-circles like that?" I'm an idiot...

binks said...

Your floors look great. We just went through the same thing but with glue down. Glad its over.

Mary said...

It's going to be amazing! Even your supervisor will love it! The supervisor is very cute too!