Thursday, August 07, 2008

Wooden teeth

Welcome to my whining session about my teeth. I didn't have insurance when we were out of work and then once I had it again I went to some serious quacks and chickened out. I got on Ryan's dental insurance since it's better than mine (mine is much better for everything else--yes, he works for The Man). I finally went to Ryan's doc a few weeks ago and they said I had a few cavities and a need for a crown. I knew I needed that thing. Last week they cleaned my teeth and then filled three on one side.

Yesterday morning I showed up for my appointment. A day early.

I showed up again this morning. They numbed my mouth and I started to shake. Really badly. I had been so freaked out this morning that I didn't eat. I ate yesterday, dangit. They brought me a kolache and I gummed half of it, trying not to bite my tongue off. Then they did their thing and determined that I needed a root canal. I knew that was coming, but I cried anyway. The dentist was very calming, but I wasn't about to get into explaining that it was about losing my job and being afraid once I knew something was wrong...

I turned back on my iPod and they went at it. It didn't really hurt and they said it was kind of interesting that it had calcified. One little part was too hard for them to get to so they're sending me to a endodontist. I can't freaking wait. After that, they filled the other two cavities on that same side and took impressions for a night guard because I've been grinding my teeth so much they're chipping. Grrr.

Oh well, at least my jaw isn't rotten or something. And my FSA debit card smoked, but it didn't catch on fire when I checked out.

Ugh. So, I went and got an A&W root beer float and some KFC mashed potatoes and mac & cheese. I ate what I could, took an antibiotic and Tylenol (I gambled and didn't fill the Tylenol III prescription) and took a nap for about 3 hours. I feel a lot better now although I am going to finish my nutritious lunch for dinner.

8 comments:

KatieBug said...

That sucks! I have to get another root canal soon, too. :(

Alli said...

Oh, man. So sorry! I had to have one a while back. Right now, I have a tooth that needs a crown (that I've already paid for!) but I haven't gone back yet. I need to, before that tooth needs a root canal too.

shoeaddict said...

Poor Kate!! I just wanna hug you.

Kate said...

Thanks, ladies! And I can totally relate to dreading it.

Zolafan said...

RE Tylenol III - oh come on, everybody loves codeine!

Chraycee said...

I've never had a root canal, but it is something I'm worrying about now - just in case I ever need one. Don't worry - I was worrying about it before your post as well....I've been worried about getting one for....oh I don't know maybe 10 years or so now.

I actually had a revelation last time I was getting a cavity filled - and that would be that I love nitrous. They put the headphones on my head (I picked the Romy & Michelle's High School reunion sound track)I got them to crank the nitrous up - got my 3 (yes...3) shots of novocaine and in about 20 minutes I would have gone along with whatever they wanted me to do.

SO - long story short....if I ever do have to have a root canal, I'm hoping it goes similarly. In the meantime - I don't have to spend nearly so much time worrying about having any cavities filled (which leaves me more time for worrying about root canals) :) Oh, and thanks for the tip on the iPod. I just got one for my b-day and now I'll think to bring it along to my cleanings as well!

Mary said...

I hate the dentist too!

Hope your mashed potatoes are the best! Yay for comfort food!

Lawfrog said...

UGH, so sorry you're having such dental problems. I haven't been to the dentist in 6 years because I don't have good enough insurance for it. I have many dental issues and I can't do anything about them right now. I floss, brush, etc. and that's the best I can do now.

Anyway, I will be thinking of you and hoping that you are able to get through the dental troubles with as little pain as possible.