Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Night

I hate the long drawn-out campaigns and all of the crap that goes with it. I love election day and even more, election night.

Ryan and I went and voted last Tuesday. I was wondering if it wouldn't feel as cool as it does on election day. It was still pretty darn cool. We stood in a long line and cast our votes. I felt very proud of all of us, regardless of who we were voting for.

We went to choir practice and just got home. I don't know who's taken which states or who thinks that they've taken which states. And I love it. I love the adrenalin. I love the excitement and the fear. I love it all.

I hated the outcome, but I loved the ride of the 2000 election. I slept on a pile of blankets in front of the TV in my first apartment here in Houston. I remember 1984 when it felt like the world had ended. And I remember 1992. I was 18. I voted for the very first time and that person became president.

However things stand in the morning, I will have enjoyed this evening as well. This country has a whole lot of flaws, but we have a lot of good things and good people. The latter outweighs the former.

2 comments:

zydeco fish said...

I find it strange that you have to stand in line to vote. The last time I voted, it took less than 5 minutes. I've never waited for more than 10 minutes to vote.

Lainey-Paney said...

this is a very exciting time for our nation.

:)
way to go for getting out there to vote.
Gotta say: 15 minute trip to vote. THAT's ROUND-TRIP!
jealous much?