Sunday, November 16, 2008

I kicked those hills' butts and made them like it

We're in Tulsa to run--marathon for Ryan and half marathon for me.
Cold, cold cold. I'm wearing another shirt under the pink one and my butt was about to freeze off.
Seriously, how cute is he? His race started an hour before mine so I spent some time in the car with the heater on. I was afraid that I was going to fall asleep, so I went and watched his start.
That's a lot fewer people than Houston.
My race started at 9, so I walked around a little and found a sunny spot to try to warm up. I kept wishing it would get warmer, but knew I'd wish it was cooler once I started. My teeth were chattering so hard I almost bit my tongue off. My body is NOT used to cold anymore.
Yes, folks, that's my pace.
Waiting for the gun to go off so I could get moving and warm up. It was so tempting because it was cold and windy, but I didn't want to tire myself out.
And we're off! Crossing the Arkansas River. I couldn't feel my legs and I knew I running too fast. My first mile was 9 minutes. Crap! Slow down, slow down, slow down! I didn't want to burn up all my energy at the beginning and I was saving it for the end and the hills.

Route 66 sign-- we actually ran on a short section of it.
This is when I knew that a 3-hour half marathon was within reach.
I ran up those hills and I knew that I could do it. I tried to run UP every hill and walk down. One windy hill was just mean. I passed a guy in a wheelchair, pulling himself backward. Um, file that under shut up, whiner. I did have to pull out the inhaler at the top when I developed the serious asthmatic cough that I get. I'm sure it was pleasant for the people running near me.

I kept running, walking occasionally. I kept it in my mind that 3 hours was possible and maybe even less. I tried to run, to keep running, but not too hard. I rounded the corner into the final stretch and I smiled like an idiot. I could see 2:50 on the board. I passed under at 2:52:15. My chip time (based on when I crossed the start line) was:

2:50:25

Oh yeah, baby! Last year, it was 3:06, so I totally blew that out of the water. I got my medal (very cool) and went to get my bag and wait for Ryan. I figured he'd be coming in fast, so I was able to get a nice shot of him...
Look at that--standing straight, looking strong.
And the clock? 4:14:39. PR (Personal Record) and a half. Last year was 4:26. Go us! I think all of the training helped, we're both a little lighter, and with the exception of the hills, the course was a fast one. And the temperature? Once I was moving, it was heaven! Think we can get some of that in Houston in January?? Yeah, right.

Now it is time for some serious R&R. I am driving us home tomorrow. But today I am lying on the couch. Drinking Gatorade and water and now searching for something for my tummy. That hamburger at the park after the race is GONE. My heart rate monitor said I burned 2100 calories. We're having sandwiches and chicken noodle soup (home made) tonight and Braum's hamburgers tomorrow on the way home.

5 comments:

Alli said...

COngrats again! That's so cool!!

And on the picture of the two of you, before I read what you wrote about "Seriously, how cute is he?", I was thinking, "How cute are they?!" :)

Grant-Will-Rant said...

So inspiring! I need to get off my lazy butt and do some real exercise. The 15 minute walk to work just doesn't cut it.

Caroline said...

Congrats to both of you, Katie-Kat! Hope you're having safe travels home.

Love,
Caroline

Mary said...

Congrats! I can't even run to the end of my driveway. You rock!

Lainey-Paney said...

Congratulations to both of you!
What a great job, for each of you!