Sunday, December 07, 2008

Nazi Vampires

Last week I finished reading Twilight. Ryan was out of town and I had just finished reading a teenybopper book about vampires. It was suspenseful in parts, but only I would have nightmares from reading it. I would lie in bed terrified and thinking about every scary vampirish thing I'd ever read or seen.

The other day my students were telling me what they liked about the Twilight books and answering questions about what happens in the later books since I really, really am not going to read any more of them. They really couldn't get over the fact that things like that scare me. Or that the word "cringe" appeared no less than 50 times in the book. Or that I would be bothered by that. But that's another post.

I'm also afraid of Nazis. Not neo-Nazis, although they scare me, but not in a nightmarish kind of way. I am afraid of 1930s-40s Nazis. The kind who don't exist unless you have a time machine. I have nightmares about them. I lie awake at night, petrified of them. I watch a show about Nazi art thefts before and during World War II and I think of all of the scary Nazi-villain movies. I remember watching The Sound of Music and how my mom said I would have been disobedient and betrayed the whole family by making noise. I am terrified.

What is wrong with me? What am I? 6 years old? In need of (more) medication?

What are you afraid of? What do you think of when something goes bump in the night?




And Ryan? Ever helpful, he told me that he's really a Nazi Vampire. Thanks, buddy. Thanks.

11 comments:

Julie said...

You definitely should NOT watch the preview a friend sent me the other day about a new German movie that involves a group of young adults partying in a cabin in the woods, in the snow. It turns out to have been a Nazi hang out, and when they discover some of the Nazi's treasure, the hills come alive with Nazi zombies. Yep, I would NOT recommend that one!

Kate said...

ARGH! I could have written that movie. And you're totally right, I need to NOT even watch the trailer. Luckily, it's German so I should be pretty safe, right? Jeez. Nazi zombies. Just what I need.

Junebug said...

This makes me very sad. I was so in hopes that you'd finish out the series. I just saw the movie and really liked it...as opposed to most people, I guess. Also, when I finished the 4th book, I found myself longing for another vampire story. Yep.

Now that I think about it, there is a scene in the 3rd book that was a little creepy for me but would have apparently sent you totally over the edge. So, nevermind. Maybe you really should stop while you are ahead.

kelli said...

You and my mom. She's the same way with the Nazis.
I'm sorry Twilight gave you nightmares! Definitely get the whole scoop from your kids- the plot of the series is pretty interesting, and for you it'll be better without the details.

zydeco fish said...

Fortunately, all of the Nazis from the 30s and 40s are either dead or so old you could break them in half with your little finger.

shoeaddict said...

I loved the movie. I did not love the book(s). I didn't finish them. I am afraid of things that people think are silly of me to be afraid of but, what can you do?

AlaneM said...

When I hear something go bump in the night I think "Oh please do not let that be a sick kid...pretty please???"

On the movie front, I pretty much avoid any gore/scary stuff. Vampires aren't so bad, depending on what kind. I loved Interview With A Vampire but you could not pay me enough to watch Salem's Lot. I read the book & could not have it in the same room with me for over 2 months - s.c.a.r.y!!!
The flick that freaked me out the most is Chucky. Something about a doll coming to life & killing all in it's path just geeks me out. I saw it on video waaay back when & to this day I cannot see that face without covering my eyes. I couldn't look at dolls for the longest time without getting the heeby-jeebies.

zolafan said...

hmm, guess you weren't all that crazy about Auschwitz, then...

Kate said...

Junebug, I'll get the scoop from the kids. It's hard to get them to shut up about the series, so that won't be too hard.

Kel, I am laughing about your mom having issues with Nazis, too.

Zolafan, I was dreading going there and thought I might be afraid or creeped out. Mostly I felt the sadness. I had nightmares after reading Night a few months later, though.

Alane, I never saw the Chucky movie and it scared the snot out of me. We had a scary doll growing up--so scary that we wouldn't let our parents name the baby the same thing as the doll. We put her in the closet (the doll, not the baby), facing the back wall.

Kate said...

ZF- You're right. I probably could kick some Nazi ass. Or get some help from my husband who looks like he stepped off a Nazi propaganda poster, except for being a weak Slav. Haha.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I'm afraid of nametag-wearing choir singers! Bwhahahahahaah! That's a great one! Loved it!