Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 Reading List

26. (10/27/09): Bloom's Guides Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Interesting, helpful summaries of characters and tales.
25. (10/15/09): Fifty Works of English Literature We Could Do Without. Good times.
24. (9/28/09): The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett. This is the second in a series of delicious kids' books. Three friends who solve a mystery revolving around a Frank Lloyd Wright house.
23. (9/20/09): Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. My students read this as part of their summer reading assignment. Even in my comfortable existence, I could relate (personally) to this book more than I was comfortable with. I hope that education is a large part of what my students will have as armor against this type of existence.
22. (9/12/09): Special Relationship by Robyn Sisman. It was better than I had expected, having read another of her books. Fluff for sure. There was a whole plot line with a character who is clearly a YOUNG BILL CLINTON and it was maddening with all of the details, just changed a tiny, tiny bit. It even made sure to date the book in 1992. That was tedious. The journey of the woman was interesting.
21. (8/25/09): Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I can see why it's a classic and why people get into it, but mostly I wanted to smite every single character. Heathcliff isn't romantic, but kind of an ass. He's a demon-possessed ass-hole. And Catherine... Those two deserved each other.
20. (7/31/09): Austenland by Shannon Hale. Even as a vacation read, it was pretty thin. I just wasn't too jazzed about the character. I get so tired of women who think that Mr. Darcy is the perfect man. He's the perfect man for Elizabeth Bennet, but for a modern woman, he is an ASS.
19. (7/13-14/09) Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I read this book in the space of 6-8 hours for a class I was taking. It was incredible. Moving and yet, still hopeful.
18. (7/09): Summer Reading
17. (7/1/09): Brighton Rock by Graham Greene. I read it with the summer school kids and although they didn't quite get all of the hellfire, damnation and redemption, they did like the gang themes and wanted to discuss what would happen and how relationships work, etc.
16. (6/22/09): Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach. A young adult book mystery about Shakespeare, a missing diamond, and friendship. I especially related to the heroine's feelings about moving often and finding a place in a new school.
15. (6/19/09): A Room with a View by E. M. Forster. Always a good one. The summer school kids had trouble with it, but some got into it and all liked the movie. Except for the swimming hole scene that I didn't show them. ;)
14. (6/9/09): The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Once again, this was a hit with the summer school kids. Many of them have never even heard of Sherlock Holmes and it's a great story.
13. (6/7/09): The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Good fun. All sorts of notes that almost doubled the length of the book. I loved it!
12. (6/2/09): The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. Never disappoints.
11. (5/09): Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw (x4 with my regular classes)
10. (4/21/09): What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist-The Facts of Daily Life in Nineteenth-Century England by Daniel Pool. A delightful resource on 19th century culture and customs. So very helpful for when reading Dickens, Austen, etc.
9. (4/09): A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. My class of repeaters liked this one, as did I.
8. (3/09): Imagined London : a tour of the world's greatest fictional city by Anna Quindlen. Fun, but not the greatest book I've ever read.
7. (3/22/09): Crewel Yule by Monica Ferris. Another "cozy" mystery about the woman who owns a needlecraft store in MN.
6. (3/09): Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
5. (2/09): Issues of Class in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Claudia Durst Johnson, editor. Some interesting articles.
4. (2/2/09): Lady Macbeth: A Novel by Susan Fraser King. A really enjoyable novel about the much-maligned villainess of Shakespeare's play. I love historical fiction, so it was just fun to begin with. I would definitely recommend this one.
3. (1/31/09): Swell A Girl's Guide to the Good Life by Cynthia Rowley and Ilene Rosenzweig. Cute, but nothing that new. I got it from Paperback Swap and relisted it as soon as I read it.
2. (1/09) The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids by Madeline Levine. This is a really helpful book for parents, I assume, and teachers, definitely. I don't know everything, obviously, but I was starting to understand the ghetto kids, but these affluent kids? Huh? I did understand high parental expectations for grades, but otherwise, not so much. Now my principal wants me to share with other faculty. A parenting book? Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not a parent! Haha!
1. (1/09)The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood. Cute book about a young boy whose master tells him to steal Shakespeare's Hamlet. A really riveting inside view of Shakespeare's company and Elizabethan society.

2 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

That sounds good! I read Will in the World, which is about Shakespeare's life. Very insightful. A lot of his works were stolen, more like pirated, copied, that sort of thing.

Kate said...

I have that book on reserve from the library now!