Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Чип и Дейл спешат на помощь

One of my friends from school had this as his Facebook status and I was stunned. It felt like someone smacked me in the chest. It's the title of the Russian version of Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. We used to watch it. When we lived in the Soviet Union. One character used to go into ecstatic fits over cheese. Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese! It used to ache so much because I wanted cheese. We went months and months and months without even seeing cheese, much less eating any.

So many thoughts. I don't like remembering being hungry all the time. It was 18 years ago and then sometimes it feels like it was 10 minutes ago.



The kids came back today and I am beat. My five regular/smallish classes were combined into 4 large classes and then I have my "trailer" class for the kids who failed in the fall. There are currently about 12 students, but there are sure to be more when the counselors get around to adding the kids we told them to add before the break. What is wrong with counselors? Why can't they get anything right when it comes to schedules? How hard is it to not give a kid TWO classes during ONE class period? He said, "Miss, I'm not a worm. I can't split myself and be in two places." I laughed. They're sweet.

I am so ready for this semester. Last semester was an almost unmitigated parade of blood and guts, war and revenge and even a little suicide*. I'm ready for some satire and comedy and romance!




*Reading material, not real life.

4 comments:

6 of us said...

Cheeeese!

I hope this semester goes well for you; I don't have my reading list yet but I'm sure it won't be a very fun selection.

AlaneM said...

Wow for a minute there I thought I was lookin at the wrong blog :)

I didn't know you lived in the Soviet Union...any chance you'll blog more about it?
Just curious.

shoeaddict said...

Little Bro and I used to LOVE Chhh-Chh-Chh-Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers. I'm singing the song in my head right now.

I'd also like to hear more about your life in Russia.

Kate said...

Mary, hopefully you'll have a few fun things.

AlaneM & Shoeaddict, I don't like to talk about it much for various reasons. Mainly, that it was hard. Very hard. And I don't like to talk about it.