Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Resolve to save a life!

Manic Mommy's at it again! Her 2nd annual


There are prizes again this year--including a trip to Florida! Of course, the greatest reward is donating blood and helping save lives.

The American Red Cross has banned me from donating blood because of potential exposure to Mad Cow Disease and Ryan's being turned away for a while because of his time in Africa last year, but you, can you donate? Please do! Get someone to take a picture of you and send it to Manic so that you can be entered for a prize.

January 1--February 28, 2009

6 comments:

Alli said...

Ugh, I've NEVER been able to give blood. It drives me crazy. The only time I weigh enough is when I'm pregnant or post-partum. Once, in high school, I tried anyway, thinking they wouldn't really enforce it, and they did. Grr.

shoeaddict said...

I could never give blood either. I maybe can this year!

Mary said...

My daughter gave blood at school twice this year! Her blood has attitude, they took it anyway.

Lainey-Paney said...

I gotta ask---when/how were you maybe exposed to Mad Cow Disease?

Kate said...

Alli, it's too bad that they won't let you, but I totally believe that you only weight enough when you're 9 months pregnant. =) I have little tiny students who are your size try and they're sad--hoping that they won't enforce the rule.

Shoeaddict, that you would be so cool if you're able now!

Mary, I'm thinking that sick people could use a little infusion of teenager attitude along with the blood! =)

Lainey-Painey, it's nothing exciting. It's just if you lived in the UK for longer than x months in the early 90's (I can't remember the specifics), you may have eaten tainted beef, so they don't want your blood anymore. Thing is, they let me donate until about 5 years ago. It annoys me, but god forbid I gave a sick person some illness that I was carrying around, I would feel more than guilty.

Kate said...

OH! And the answer is that I spent the summer of '91 in England. BEST SUMMER of my life. Hands down.