Monday, February 09, 2009

Goiter is...

...among the words I hate most in the entire English language...

I've been having certain symptoms:
  • cold all the time--shivering violently when it's 72°
  • weight gain that I just can't shake
  • lack of energy--I want to sleep ALL THE TIME
  • increased depression
  • dry skin
  • hair loss
  • etc.

Oh, and the giant lump on my neck. It's always been noticeable if you touch it, but now it's bigger and asymmetrical. Not a good sign. I figured it was my thyroid because of the neck stuff and the lithium. The last time I took it, my thyroid got big, although I never took any meds in spite of having a gazillion tests.

So, today I got the blood levels from my shrink from just before New Year's and took them to my primary care doctor. She compared them to my levels for the last 8 years and it was dramatic. I am definitely hypothyroid. She had me do another round of bloodwork just in case, but she had me start on Synthroid. We'll see how that goes. There's also an ultrasound and a trip to the endocrinologist in the works.

I still really, really hate the word goiter. It just sounds so gross. And yes, in relation to others, it is very, very small. Thankfully.

9 comments:

kelli said...

It is hard for me to agree with you without feeling like I'm really saying EW that bump! it's so gross!

But I don't really notice it. I am sorry it is making you feel bad, and yes, the word goiter is really disgusting, whether you have one or not. :)

Lainey-Paney said...

ew. goiter is a yucky word!

AlaneM said...

I've been on Levoxyl (I think it's synthroid's generic) for years now. I feel you girl!!

Susan said...

Ohmy, synthroid is what your grandmother has been on for years. And her mother and Auntie Sue. Sorry, Kate. Heredity seems to be hard to shake, huh? But I'm proud of you for facing it and then taking care of it. Good news about Ryan's ankle. Thank you, Lord! Bad news about Tillie's emotional breakdown, bless her doggie heart! Love, Mama

Alli said...

I agree, goiter is an awful word. But it's good that you are able to figure out what's going on with you and fix it.

zydeco fish said...

I hope the goiter doesn't loiter...OK, terrible bad awful joke. the good news is you know what it is and there is treatment.

shoeaddict said...

I take Synthroid too. I hate the word moist. HATE.

Kate said...

Thanks, guys! Your comments really, really helped. I'm still lacking in energy, but I have an appt. for an ultrasound of my neck on Weds.

Also, glad to know that I'm in such good company taking synthroid (generic version). =)

WendyB said...

Goiter IS a gross word and yours luckily is not so bad. My stepdaughter had the same thing and got her thyroid taken out last year. Of course, she is on synthroid. She could have had the radiation but she has thyroid cancer in her family AND she is only 19, so there would have been a lot of monitoring only to probably have it out anyway someday. She decided to just get it over with. She is doing great. Anyway, it's good to know that you can be totally fine whatever decision you make re treatment!