Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More about my GOITER or 3 hours at the hospital

I spent three hours at the hospital today getting an ultrasound done. Do not ask me why they sent me to the hospital instead of the place across the street. I had to wait in admitting for about half an hour before they could check me in. I only saw about four other people, but apparently, they were slammed. It was pleasant and the chairs were comfy and I read and fell asleep, so that was good.

After 45 minutes I was checked in and wondering how the hospital has my info circa 2004. Did I have some procedure or test that I have blocked out? Very odd. Anyway, they walked over to another waiting area. I tried to tune out the TV and read and slept more. The woman who walked me over came about 15 minutes later with someone else and called again to have them come get me. 5-10 minutes later they did.

I got to the ultrasound area and the woman had me lie down and after about 5-10 minutes she started. It took at least half an hour. She then said that she was a student so they'd look over her work and then maybe come take more pictures. Sure enough, 15 minutes later, someone else came in and spent another 30 minutes taking pictures. They spent a lot of time on what I realized was the side that's most swollen (or whatever), but the second woman spent time there, too, so they should have the info they need.

I dozed during the procedure and I realized I was crying a little. I know it's possible but not probable, but surgery can be required. I'm not a pro or anything, but would that affect my voice? Would I have a big scar on my neck? Was it worth worrying at this point? Back to snoozing...

I had to wait to make sure that the radiologist was happy with the info they got and then finally I was able to clean the goo off my neck and I walked out to my car, which I'd parked about 3 blocks away (I always park there when I go to my doc because it's free). I knew I was late for church and I was just really calm about it. Traffic was bad and I didn't stress. I passed in front of church just as everyone was letting out. Oh well. I got to pick up Ryan.

They said my doc should have the results by Friday or maybe Monday. I'm interested. I still need to call an endocrinologist. Ugh. I hate the phone. So, no news yet. I'm just glad that's done. And what's up with being so calm? And how can I replicate that?

5 comments:

Alli said...

Hmmmm...I hope they're able to figure out what it is after all that and that you'll get some answers quickly. The waiting and not knowing is the worst part. Love to you....

Mary said...

I'm glad they took their time and made sure the ultrasound images were good enough, otherwise you'd just have to go back and start all over again. Waiting is the worst. Maybe the calm is a sort of numb, which isn't a bad way to wait for results. Wishing you lots of good news!!!

Kate said...

Thanks, Alli!

Mary, you're right. At least they got all kinds of shots. And I probably was numb, but it was good. I got through it.

I'm sure the news will be good and I'm glad I have good docs and good health insurance. I'll post when I hear.

WendyB said...

I read this post and then I skipped down to your other post about your diagnosis, and commented on that. I hope you've gotten some word by now. As I said there, my stepdaughter had surgery. She has what I'd consider to be a smallish scar and it's fading a lot. I hope you get good news!

Susan said...

Kate, we're praying for you and for no surgery. Remember "your" Isaiah 26:3 about perfect peace. Love, Mama PS It was so good to see you last Saturday!