Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chez le docteur

First, I watched my friend's summer school class as a favor for a friend. 32 freshmen for 3 hours. Did you know that it's hard(er) to read your book if it's on your head? Or under your desk? Or you're busy with your comb that is tangled in your bangs? Or listening to music on your PSP? Or texting someone on the phone THAT I CAN SEE UNDER YOUR DESK???? I actually got paid for doing it, but DAMN, I EARNED every single cent of that money. I love my 3 seniors and 5 freshmen. They're goofy but the seniors shame them into acting well and the freshmen shame the seniors into working. Good times.

I went to the endocrinologist and saw the PA. She said that my thyroid feels smaller, which is a good thing. She is pleased with everything but my continuing lack of energy. Also, my cycles are still a bit long and unreliable. She asked if anyone had ever checked my hormones. No. She said that it could be that I have Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which could account for lots of things, including lack of pregnancy even though, uh huh, we're doing everything else we can. So. Blood tests. The phlebotomist didn't hurt me, but DANG, I am bruised.

After that, I went to the shrink. She wants to wait on the labs (I asked them to order a lithium level while they were at it) and maybe adjust meds later. She's worried that I'm so darn tired all the time. Even now that I'm working 3.5 hours a day I'm falling asleep sitting up while reading. That is NOT normal. I'm healthy(ish) and getting 7 hours of sleep a night. Ryan claims that I don't snore and I don't wake up in the middle of the night usually. So. There are things that can be done, but after the thyroid stuff. Becoming manic is always an issue, so caution is always best.

Of course, there is a certain irony if I started taking (more) lithium because it was better for being pregnant, but it screws up my thyroid and makes it harder to get pregnant. We'll see. I'm not worried. I have great doctors and health insurance. It will happen if it's meant to happen. And now I am enjoying being able to sleep whenever and go out whenever and TRAVEL whenever.

1 comment:

Shoeaddict said...

I was diagnosed with PCOS and looka me! I started Metformin for Insulin Resistance and my endo told me two (or three) weeks ago that it was probably the reason I got preg.

You sound pregnant with all the falling asleep. I'm guessing you know that you are not though. I hope they find how to treat you, painlessly, and you are pregnant soon.

My french friend, Isabelle, is here. She looks like you. She is a runner, too! She makes me miss you :)