Sunday, September 27, 2009

Found it!

We've been looking for new artwork in our living room for a while now. The big prints we have now are cool, but they're a little tired. Also, every single townhouse in our neighborhood has one or two of them. I have a high tolerance for having things that other people like--I don't like things because they are popular, but something being popular isn't usually a turnoff. Unless it makes it look like an exact copy, which I feel is the case with our house.

I also posted some pictures on Rate My Space (the HGTV website/show) and got some feedback. Of course, I got the inevitable comments about decluttering and losing all the books and bookshelves ["box up what you don't need then sort by color and size"--if I was okay with treating them simply as meaningless objects, I wouldn't have that many!]. I got rid of some of the picture frames and about 200 books, but that's all I'm willing to do. I am a reader and I teach literature. I need those books close by for easy reference--and I use them often. I also have 4-5 shelves of kids books that always get lots of use when we have kids over. I would remove them if we were looking to sell our house, but until then, I will live in a library if I wanna.

They also didn't like how asymmetrical the room looks with the bookshelves, but I think they work with the giant wall of windows on the opposite wall. Also, Ryan has them strapped to the wall so they won't fall and will NOT move them again.

Finally, I put the furniture on an angle (to maximize the use of the in-floor outlets and make it less boxy. I'm okay with asymmetry, obviously.

Before:


After:


So... in place of these three...
We are thinking of hanging this...
I realize it is not even close to everyone's taste, but I love the shape (nearly square and large--about the same as the height of the middle picture and then that same measurement on the width) and the color. Also, it's newsprint, which I think fits in with who we are.

Edition Wall Art from CB2. How it's made. I know it's so not everyone's cup of tea, but I think we'd love it. And it will be far enough away that it won't trigger Ryan's newsprint phobia or so he promises.

7 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

I like the newsprint piece! I also love the bookshelves! I dream of living in a library too!

Tim said...

That's very cool. Julie and I are paralyzed when it comes to buying art.

I'm a big fan of the Austin Art Garage (they're dedicated to affordable artwork), but we still haven't been able to decide:

http://www.austinartgarage.com/browse.html

Shoeaddict said...

I like the print.

Lainey-Paney said...

Oh, I like the newsprint piece too!

And I like the room. I love books, books, books!

Shoeaddict said...

You told me that you were going to start updating your blog more often! What happened to that?

Kate said...

Shoeaddict, yeah... So! I blogged! :)

Alli said...

Has it seriously been this long since I've visited your blog?!?! I'm SOOO sorry!

Anyway, can I come live with you? I LOVE LOVE LOVE your living room. SO what I'd love to have for us. But. We can't have nice, pretty things. Not yet, at least.

Love the new art piece. Have you gotten it up on the wall yet? If so, post pics!