Saturday, January 30, 2010

2010 Reading List

In Progress:

The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas (unabridged)
A Death in Deptford

Completed:
44. The Boxer and the Spy, Robert B. Parker. Another wonderful YA mystery. I love that his female sidekick is much more than that.
43. You'll Lose the Baby Weight (and other lies about pregnancy and childbirth), Dawn Meehan. I won this from Manic Mommy and it is just the laugh I needed. I read it in one day.
42. Family Honor, Robert B. Parker. It's the first Sunny Randal mystery and I enjoyed it.
41. Macbeth, Shakespeare. x5. Again. One class cheered at the end. As in, that was an awesome story. Good times. Just a little murder and witchcraft to get you into the Christmas spirit!
40. (11/6) Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf
39. Eliza's Daughter by Joan Aiken. A "sequel" to Sense and Sensibility. It was enjoyable, but not quite good enough to wish for more.
38. The Yummy Mummy Manifesto, Anna Johnson. Oh, puh-leeze. You expect a certain amount of out-of-touch assvice, but keeping chocolate-covered almonds in your glove box, wearing a beaded chiffon flapper dress with a wool Aran sweater, and my personal favorite: wrap your baby naked in a sari and go for an hour walk without diapers, wipes, bottles, etc. WHAT?!?
37. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane.
36. Mystery, Kyra Davis
35. What to Expect When You're Expecting. Fear. Lots and lots of fear.
34. The Everything Guide to Pregnancy over 35.
33. Spanking Shakespeare, Jake Wizner. Oh my, this book was funny!
32. (9/8): The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
31. (9/3): Nickel and Dimed, Barbara Ehrenreich.
30. (9/3): Edenville Owls, Robert B. Parker. A beautifully written book for young adults--especially males.
29. (8/28): Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. Wow. This book was beautifully written.
28. (8/27): Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Fan by who cares. Seriously, this book was a waste, even as a doctor's office/bedtime wind-down read. So stupid. It was poorly written and none of the characters were remotely likable.
27. (8/16) The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I realize that I am the last person on the planet to read this book. That said, I enjoyed it immensely. My dad wouldn't let me read it when it came out because of all of the violence.
26. Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading, Lizzie Skurnick. What a fun look at some of my all-time favorite books. I have a few on my student book shelf and will add more now...
25. How to Read Novels Like a Professor, Thomas C. Foster. Informative, especially for someone who hasn't sat through lots of English classes. And funny.
24. English as a Second Language, Megan Crane. Surprisingly good. It was more complicated than I expected and the end was difficult. I hate that end of the academic year feeling. You're so happy to be done, but it's painful as everyone scatters.
23. Love Overboard by Janet Evanovich. Oh my. Even for a romance novel, this one was bad. First, it kind of wanted to be a mystery novel, complete with "ghosts" and dead bodies, which is not what I signed on for, dangit. And the romance part was pretty terrible as well. You already know how I feel about the term "panty elastic." Not. Sexy.
22. (7/12): Dune Road, Jane Green. As always, Jane Green delivers. This one had a little more excitement and intrigue than usual, which I enjoyed.
21. (7/10): I Do. I Did. Now What? Life After the Wedding Dress, Jenny Lee. I tried to find this book about 5 years ago but only now got ahold of it. Funny. Helpful for a newlywed. Less advice and more telling her shameful--and hilarious--secrets.
20. (7/8): The Return of the Native, Thomas Hardy. Alternate title: Days of Our Heath-Bound Lives. It was painful to read until the last 1/4. Overall a good book, but not for summer reading. I much prefer Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
19. (6/30) The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas. The abridged, but still 531-page version. It never gets old. I want to re-read the 1200-pageunabridged version now.
18. (6/29): As You Like It: Shakespeare. Yes, I'm counting this one again since I read and explained it again.
17. (6/28): Brighton Rock, Graham Greene. Each time I read this book I get more out of it. My class of boys just liked the violence.
16. (6/22): Witches and Jesuits: Shakespeare's Macbeth, Garry Wills. The first half of this book was fascinating--the second half was less so. The part devoted to the character of Macbeth was downright dull. I did enjoy the book, overall, especially about the Porter and loved reading it right before seeing Macbeth at the Globe Theatre in London.
15. (6/16): A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens. Of course, he's heavy-handed, but that's just part of the wild ride. Even though this is at least the fifth time I've read this, I cried at the end. My summer school students mocked me.
14. (6/10/10): The Hound of the Baskervilles, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I still love this book!
13. (6/10/10: Twenties Girl, Sophie Kinsella. Meh. The ghost was really annoying for half of the book. If I hadn't been stuck in an airplane seat, I would have put it on my Paperback Swap list and sent it on without finishing it.
12. (4/27/10): The Squire's Tale, Gerald Morris. Cute kids' book about Sir Gawain and his squire, Terence.
11. (4/26/10): Rattled, Christine Coppa. I read her blog on Glamour.com and enjoyed her book.

10. (4/23/10): Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw.
9. (4/23/10): Hamlet, Shakespeare.

8. (4/17/10): Readings on Hamlet, Don Nardo, editor. Another fantastic collection of snippets of lit crit about something we're reading in class. This was the first time I ever read about Ophelia being anything other than innocent, virginal, and completely empty-headed.
7. (3/20/10): Wishful Drinking, Carrie Fisher. A fun read--light and hilarious and also gets into some of the hard stuff as well.

6. (3/6/10): 84, Charing Cross Road, Helene Hanff and Frank Doel. What a delicious little book.
5. (3/1/10): In Cold Blood, Truman Capote. Even though it scared me so much that I'm not going to ever sleep again, it was beautifully written.
4. (2/10): Up In Seth's Room, Norma Fox Mazer. YA book that I remembered being much dirtier--about a teenage girl with an older boyfriend--you get the idea.
3. (2/10): Mountains Beyond Mountains, Tracy Kidder. A very interesting story about a doctor in Haiti (and other countries). It wasn't terribly well-written, but it was enjoyable.
2. (1/29/10): As You Like It, Shakespeare. I read this with my 4 classes of seniors and they had trouble with it but found a few parts to be funny or interesting. I got into it more and will definitely do it again next year. Now we're watching the Kenneth Branagh movie and they LOVE it.
1. (1/10): 1984 by George Orwell. Huzzah! I finally finished it! It didn't end the way I expected, honestly. I'm glad that I finally got through it.

2 comments:

Shoeaddict said...

I am in the middle of reading four or five books. I wish I could just sit down and finish some (all)!

I love to read your reading lists.

zydeco fish said...

1984 is one of my all-time fav books. In Cold Blood in on my to-read list. Someday...