Monday, December 20, 2010

It's a boy!

We had tests done a few months ago that said that the baby's a boy and although the test was supposed to be very, very accurate, I still was wanting visual confirmation. Well, we got it today. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Ryan and I went to the hospital where I had all those tests (HSG, etc.) a year ago. The tech took a zillion measurements of his noggin and bones and organs and all that. She pointed out his little boy parts. True to what I expect will not change any time soon, he was not hiding anything.

She took lots of pictures of his face. He's still pretty skeletal looking, but you can see his little nose and mouth and eyes. I may be imagining it, but I think I might be seeing his daddy's brow ridge.

We were nervous about certain measurements, especially his heart. Both Ryan and I have given him strong risk factors for heart defects. She measured and measured and measured. When she was done she said that he weighs about 12oz. at this point. She then went to the radiologist and came back to take some more pictures. We were terrified. I was crying openly. I knew that she needed more pictures of his heart, but then I panicked--what if it was his spine? Something worse? Argh. Waiting as she went to see the radiologist again was excruciating. She handed us an envelope to take to my OB. After I got changed, Ryan held me and we both expressed how scared we were. And then we said we were going to be optimistic.

Waiting at the OB's office was more fun. It wasn't too long, but it felt like it. The doctor came in to talk about the results and I cut her off. How is his heart?!? She said that what they saw was good. They hadn't been able to see a little, but not enough to even request a follow-up, but knowing our risk factors she ordered one anyway. We were both so relieved. So, technically, there could still be something we didn't see, but isn't that how it always is in life?

So, little man, you made your Mommy and Daddy both cry today. I have a feeling this wasn't the last time.


Factoid: Even though I am 19 weeks, 5 days from my last period, he is measuring 20 weeks, 5 days. No sure how much that means, if anything, about how big he will be at birth.

In other news, my cervix is a great size for delivery and although the placenta is positioned in a less than favorable position now, it has 20 weeks to shift itself. And bizarrely, I haven't gained any weight in a few weeks. Doc said that's okay as long as I'm eating and the baby's growing. I'm eating (holidays!!) and if Mr. Man is measuring a week ahead, I think it's okay. I'm sure I'll make up for it soon enough!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Some ultrasound techs will stress this, some won't, but the ultrasound is truly just a very educated guess on size. That measuring a week ahead thing is really their best guess. And, hello, have you looked at you and your husband? You guys aren't exactly short, I'm sure your baby will be a little bigger than the average bear:)

I wish I could remember the exact estimate, but we had an ultrasound of Stella 30 hours before she was born and I think he estimated her at a little over 9 lbs. She was born at 8 pounds, 8 ounces.

Kate said...

Julie, I was wondering how much all of that meant. As long as he's not measuring a month ahead or behind? ;) I'm not too stressed about all that. So much of this process is still such a guess.