Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Update

I went for my 32 week appt last Weds. I was a good girl and asked the nurse not to tell me my weight, although it's the balance kind so I could hear that I'd hopped up to another 50lb. increment (I was on the edge before), so I have a decent idea what it is. I'm trying not to think about it.

My blood pressure was high, which was weird since my blood pressure is usually low--before and thus far during this pregnancy.

The nurse used the doppler machine to hear Little Boy's heartbeat and of course he was being ornery. She had asked if he was moving around and sure enough as she was trying to do her test, the knucklehead kicked her hard a few times.

After that, the doc came in and checked my measurements and said that she is concerned that I am developing toxemia. I nodded and said, okay, because, really?!? I feel great, what the heck? But my feet and hands were swollen, my blood pressure was high, there was a small amount of protein in my urine, and it sounded like I'd gained more weight than expected. She said that she thinks this will progress until it becomes necessary to induce labor early.

I asked her what she meant by coming "early" and she said April (vs. my official due date of My 13th). This is all conjecture, but he could still be considered "full term" and she said he is measuring BIG. I didn't ask her to quantify that since I know it's an estimate anyway. It is still reassuring in a way.

I did ask what I/we/she could do and her answer was REST. At first she said just work as long as I sat and put my feet up as much as possible. When she found out that it was Spring Break she said I needed to be a couch commando until I went back to work. It was hard at first, especially since I feel pretty good. I still have to keep telling myself that I am doing this to keep Baby "Georgie" out of the NICU. It's also dangerous for me, but I'm trying not to think about that.

So, I went back to work yesterday and it's hard. I'm used to running up and down the stairs and all over the school. I'll admit that I went up to the 2nd floor to get some copies made and see some people. I knew that I might be able to get a key for the elevator, but it freaks me out and that just opens up all kinds of places where I shouldn't go. So far it's going okay. Sometimes my hands swell a little and sometimes my feet, but neither very much.

I go back to the doc next Weds. so we'll see how things are then. I am feeling optimistic, but I just have a feeling that I'm going to be on full-on bed rest eventually. I feel like I've made peace with that. We'll be okay. We'll be okay for money. My classes will be well cared for. I'll still have to assign work and grade papers so that will keep me from going completely bonkers at home. I'll enjoy sitting on the couch while I can. And finally, as long as this little boy is born safely and I make it through okay, too, we're all good. Nothing else matters.



In other news, Ryan finished the cork flooring in the baby's room. He still has to put back on baseboards and touch up paint, etc. but it looks amazing. It's already quieter and cleaner (the stained concrete was impossible to clean). And once he had the floor in place, Ryan put together the crib that his family got us.

Georgie Containment Unit? Check!



5 comments:

Tim said...

Hey! Wait! The baby's going to fall out!

:D

Karen said...

I'm glad the docs are taking good care of you. You hang in there and baby Georgie will be here in no time.

Kate said...

Tim, were we supposed to get a mattress?!?

Thanks, Karen!

Lainey-Paney said...

Well, sorry to hear about possible toxemia & bedrest in your future.

But---I LOVE the crib. LOVE it!!!!

Oh, and yes---you're supposed to get a mattress!
;)
Social workers around here frown upon you putting the baby on the wire bottom of the crib. Such sticklers for 'the rules' and 'doin' the right thing.' Geez.

Kate said...

Thanks, Lainey. Things could be much worse so I'm trying not to complain.

I don't know about the bare bars and springs, but no worries about suffocation! ;)